Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Show multiple administrator accounts in login screen

• Please log in to reply

Diego8

Diego8

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I know there's a way (in Win XP SP2) that you can enable more than one administrator account to be displayed at the welcome screen but i can't find it.
How would i enable that?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What user accounts do you see now?

You can have only one user named "administrator", but as many as you want in the "adminstrator" security group.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I have two accounts with administrative rights. The default, "Administrator" account and the other named "Home".
I gave Home administrative rights and then the Administrator account disappeared (i only see Home account)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
That's odd. The default Administrator account is not supposed to show up - by design. Did it only disappear for you after you changed the security group for Home? You might try changing Home back to Limited and see if Administrator shows up again.

As a general rule, you shouldn't use the default Administrator account for daily stuff.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the default administrator account will show up if no other accounts are present...since you've got to have something to log in with...but once there's something else to log in with...it hides that acount...if you want to get back to the admin account instead of home...press ctrl + alt + del at the screen where you pick your users...it will bring up the classic login shell...type administrator for the user...and whatever your password is.

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
When i first installed Windows XP, Home had administrative rights then i lowered it to User type, that's when the Administrator account started showing up.
Today when i had two admin accounts only home was displayed. Then i lowered rights to it and Administrator reappeared.

Edited by Diego8, 15 February 2007 - 07:23 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you okay now, or is there something else we can do on this thread?

Diego8

Diego8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
It's okay now. I'll use dsenette tip if i decide to set more than one admin account.
Thanks.