Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hill Billy Dilemma

• Please log in to reply

Wtoad

Wtoad

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well i was in the middle of my afternoon nap and my phone rang. It was my step mom from literally "no where" Kansas. I'm talking a town of 200 people and they are the only family with the internet. Anyways to the point, shes nearly 60 and only runs the computer for my dads cattle business. Well my neices* got on the computer at Christmas and I guess it has just been getting more screwed up since. So this is how she described it to me (bare with me)... everytime she opens an IE window it opens and then immediately shuts, earlier in the day her Mcfee Virus scan logo was red and said it found a virus, now its black and says the computer is clean. Then she clicks somewhere (i have no idea where) and it said that the computer was automatically shutting down IE to keep the computer safe from something. She also apparently can't open Mcfee virus scan either, because it closes to when opened. Anything else you can open just fine ex. solitaire, Microsoft word, or whatever else. So if anybody could help me I would really appreciate it and i know she would too, she's little, old, and very confused :whistling:. Well thanks a lot! -Kurt

If i should re-post this in a different forum let me know, i just thought this would be the best one.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Wtoad!

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum.

Fenor

Wtoad

Wtoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well, that is going to be a problem because the computer won't get on the internet w/o closing the screen, and I'm 5 hours away from where she is...