Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access network computers

• Please log in to reply

warcholc

warcholc

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I am having trouble getting my computers to see each other. When I go to network neighborhood and "Mshome", I get the error message "Mshome is not accessible". I have unistalled all 3rd party virus protection, turned off all firewalls I know about, shared my directories, but I can't even get to the base workgroup. I am running Windows XP I my main desktop, have another computer hard wired through a router, and a laptop connected over a wireless router. None of them can see each other. They all are listed as the Mshome workgroup. All of them can get to the internet, and I can print from the remote desktop and laptop to the printer connected to the main desktop, I just can't see the other compters to share files. I went through the Network Setup tutorial and it didn't help. Please help.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Are all the systems in the same subnet?

Open up a command window on each PC, enter ipconfig /all and verify this.

If they are not, then there lays your problem.

If they are then try pinging one of the ip addresses.

warcholc

warcholc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the reply, the subnet masks are the same. I tried to ping between computers and that did not work. I noticed the IP addresses don't seem consistent. For instance my main machine is like this:

IP Address: XXX.YYY.123.102

and my laptop is like this,

IP Address: XXX.YYY.2.15

Where XX and YYY are the same. It seems to me that 3rd set of numbers should also be the same. I don't know the IP address for the 3rd machine off hand (I'm not home now).

I have two computers hard wired to the router and the laptop wireless off the same router. The IP address for the laptop I believe is being randomly assigned by the router.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

IP Address: XXX.YYY.123.102

and my laptop is like this,

IP Address: XXX.YYY.2.15

That is your problem... they are are in different IP groups and will not see each other in a workgroup environment. Are they set statically or are you using DHCP? If DHCP then I am assuming you have two DHCP servers providing IPs.

You would have to create a trust relationship between the IP addresses and I am not sure you can accomplish that in a workgroup environment.

warcholc

warcholc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
How dumb am I?

Although the IP address should have been a dead give away, it wasn't until Tonight that I realized my problem. My internet connection went out a week ago for a couple days, so I reprioritized my available wireless networks for my laptop to sponge off my neighbor. I forgot to change it back so I have been loggin into his router all week. I guess its hard to network to your desktop when your connecting to a different router. Anyway, problem solved thanks for the reply.

I do still get "Mshome not available" when I go through network neighborhoods for some reason, which is kind of annoying, but if I just type \\computer name in the address bar I can get to the other computers on my network. It would be nice to fix this problem, but the workaround is easy enough. Anyway, thanks again.

ronatu

ronatu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Same here.

Just add to network (which work before) new Lenovo laptop.
On LAPTOP side - can not open MSHOME and can not see itself!
Tried all options - do not help.

Same time my PC can see LAPTOP folder in MSHOME but can not open it.

ANY IDEAS???