Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

finding out where someone lives

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dan1987

dan1987

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
is there anyway to finding out where someone lives by having the persons IP address?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Go here: http://www.dnsstuff.com/

Paste the IP address into City from IP. These are notoriously inaccurate, however the IP of this site is 70.84.70.84. Paste that and you'll come up with Dallas Texas - which is spot on: http://www.dnsstuff....?ip=70.84.70.84

Generally you'll get the location of the ISP. It's okay for identifying general areas (city, state, country), but it could never identify your address for instance.

zoned

zoned

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Dan,
I have found addresses on occasions but you would need more info and a bit more investigation.

1. Where did the IP Address come from? Firewall Log, Email?
2. What other information was present where the email address was? If it was a Spam email there may be a web address in the spam!

With a bit more info it will be possible to get to the bottom of it....even though it could end up being a Dead-End.

regards

Zoned
:tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

I have found addresses on occasions but you would need more info and a bit more investigation.

How? The IP address will only lead you to an Internet Service Provider or data center. From there you would need a court order to have them open their logs and reveal the user.

There is no way for an average user to track an IP address to an individual user. I can tell you both what your IP's is right now. It's broadcast every time you visit a website. From that IP I can guess at what area of the world you live, but I have no way of knowing who you are. To complicate things even further it's possible to use an anonymous proxy server, to spoof an IP address (which is a crime), or use a stolen account.

An example. If you were trying to do something malicious to this site, or abusing other members, my only recourse is to report your IP address to your ISP. The ISP has a responsibity to resolve the complaint, but they aren't going to tell me who you are.

Nice site BTW. :tazz:

But I can't allow you to link to it. From our Terms of Use:

The posting of links in signatures to rival tech sites is not permitted. If you do your post will be subject to editing by a moderator or administrator of Geeks to Go!. Continuing to do so will be treated as spam and result in the termination of your membership.

zoned

zoned

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:) Aoplogies for that ;) .... I am one of those who skip through Terms & Conditions and thus gets loads of Spyware installed.....

I do agree with your point, but there are times when it is possible depending on the trail....
For instance you know my ip, if you put http://myip into your browser (and pay me antother visit) you will get the site name and from there you could find out the owner (if they have filled the registration info correctly).

Microsoft have recently got subpeonas to get ISPs to tell them who owns bogus sites that were trying to steal Bank and Credit Card info from MSN users.

That is why more information regarding where the IP address came from is needed, at least if it comes to a dead end it will give it finality... :tazz:

regards

Zoned
;)

dan1987

dan1987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
thanks for all the info! i was wondering for offensive and defensive reasons...if you know what i mean.

wads24

wads24

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys!

Just on 4/13/05 I had someone frauduently use my credit card, their IP address was 24.0.108.179

I had these kind of people. Have Fun Guys! Maybe you can teach him a lesson

sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

is there anyway to finding out where someone lives by having the persons IP address?

View Post

It's certainly not easy to do.

sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey guys!

Just on 4/13/05 I had someone frauduently use my credit card, their IP address was 24.0.108.179
I had these kind of people.  Have Fun Guys!  Maybe you can teach him a lesson

View Post

Did you register a complaint with [email protected]

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
http://www.namejuice.com

you can find out who owns a domain name!! who is the tech support and other stuff by using their who is button there. Also if you are using MCafee Security centre suite .. you have the option of tracing the origins of an attack and yu can enter the URL or an IP address and get the info yu need.

But as some1 else already mentioned you will not be able to track down to the street address as such using the IP address, but you can generalize to a specific area

cheers

wads24

wads24

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i haven't yet filed a report with [email protected], but I will. Do you think that they will do anything?