Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

brother laser printer help....pleeze!

• Please log in to reply

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Just got my new brother hl-2040 laser printer today and i set it up, connected it and voila! it doesnt print right.

without changing any preferences yet, it prints the pages with the left margin about a inch and a half in, so the right edge of the documents are cut off

now i dont know why this would happen, and i would say i am pretty good with troubleshooting things like this, but i am stumped.

anyone know of this problem, or a way to solve it or any ideas??

i just found out that brothers customer service is not 24 hours....but my business is, and thats a problem!!!!

also, i tried to print a pdf file and got an error message saying something like....cannot print this format or something stupid like that.

i have had tons of printers in the past and none have made me as mad as this one has in only the first hour of having it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mad mad mad....can i get a printer that works???

i had 2 epson all in one inkjets before this laser and the first one lasted just over a year and the most recent one lasted 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!! and all i do is print about 20 sheets a day, no photos, nothing special or fancy.....whats up with these cheap pieces of crap that they call printers these days????

any help is VERY appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I own a Brother MFC unit (all in one) and it has an on-going paper feed problem. Next time it will be HP.

I was on Brothers support pages:

http://welcome.solut...prod=hl2040_all

As far as pdf goes all I could find was a patch for Adobe Reader 7.0

http://welcome.solut...p..._all&Cat=11

You could try uninstalling and downloading the latest drivers from the link above. If you go that route I noticed that there is an uninstall tool for those drivers:

http://welcome.solut...p...0_all&Cat=2

Brother tech support (when they open) may be the way to go on this problem.....

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-jennefur8675-[Brother HL-2040 Monochrome Laser Printer]-16th FEB-2007

Hi jenne8675 – Have a few questions -

(1)
– 1st of all – Which PC are you having trouble with – [2006 dell dimension desktop] – Or – [2005 gateway 4028gz laptop] – Does the printer function with the other PC – Or – Are you having issues with both?

I will step you thru the process for the one in question now – You can repeat the process if both are not functioning –

(2)
Your Printer has 2 Interfacing Connection – Parallel and USB – Which are you using

without changing any preferences yet, it prints the pages with the left margin about a inch and a half in, so the right edge of the documents are cut off

(3)
What application are you printing with –

(4)
Are you trying to Print – Internet Web Pages -

(5)
Did you Print a Test Page –

Ok – Lets print a – Printer Test Page – to check Printer’s Printing Abilities – By printing a Test Page -

Open – Printers Folder

(1) Click on – START BUTTON – Move Cursor & Highlight – SETTINGS - Then move over PRINTERS FOLDER – Then Open by clicking on the Folder
(2) Is your – BROTHER HL-2040 LASER PRINTER – Listed ??
(3) Right Click – Brother HL-2040 – Printer – Verify that is set for – Default – Then Click on PROPERTIES Folder
(4) Click on – GENERAL TAB – on top of Folder
(5) If there is Paper Available – & Printer is ON - Press – PRINT TEST PAGE – Button
(6) Did the Printer – Print a Test Page – How were the Margins ?? – If the Page Printed Correctly – than the problem is in your – Windows Printer Application Settings and not with your printer – If it – Did NOT – PRINT CORRECTLY – Then Click on the –Troubleshooting Tab – And Follow thru their process –

Post back – Answers – to all questions – Then we will either troubleshoot

(1) The Printer
(2) Or The Printer Application

also, i tried to print a pdf file and got an error message saying something like....cannot print this format or something stupid like that.

(6)
Are you trying to print from the Internet -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 16 February 2007 - 08:27 AM.

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Thanks for trying to help me......

1)
– 1st of all – Which PC are you having trouble with – [2006 dell dimension desktop] Does the printer function with the other PC – Or – Are you having issues with both? Have not tried with other PC, just this one

I will step you thru the process for the one in question now – You can repeat the process if both are not functioning –

(2)
Your Printer has 2 Interfacing Connection – Parallel and USB – Which are you using? USB

(3)
What application are you printing with – FROM INTERNET
(4)
Are you trying to Print – Internet Web Pages - YES

(5)
Did you Print a Test Page – YES

Ok – Lets print a – Printer Test Page – to check Printer’s Printing Abilities – By printing a Test Page -

Open – Printers Folder

(1) Click on – START BUTTON – Move Cursor & Highlight – SETTINGS - Then move over PRINTERS FOLDER – Then Open by clicking on the Folder
(2) Is your – BROTHER HL-2040 LASER PRINTER – Listed ??
(3) Right Click – Brother HL-2040 – Printer – Verify that is set for – Default – Then Click on PROPERTIES Folder
(4) Click on – GENERAL TAB – on top of Folder
(5) If there is Paper Available – & Printer is ON - Press – PRINT TEST PAGE – Button
(6) Did the Printer – Print a Test Page – How were the Margins ?? – If the Page Printed Correctly – than the problem is in your – Windows Printer Application Settings and not with your printer – If it – Did NOT – PRINT CORRECTLY – Then Click on the –Troubleshooting Tab – And Follow thru their process –

Post back – Answers – to all questions – Then we will either troubleshoot

(1) The Printer
(2) Or The Printer Application

(6)
Are you trying to print from the Internet - YES

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just got off the phone w/ brother customer service and they had me try a patch to repair adobe printing issues, but it did not work...she did say that the margins seem to be off in IE7, but I nor she, had any idea how to configure those...

THANKS!!!!!!!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02-jennefur8675-[Brother HL-2040 Monochrome Laser Printer]-16th FEB-2007

I did not think that the problem was with printer -

Are you trying to print from the Internet – YES

That is not a printer problem – It is your Browser setting -

I just got off the phone w/ brother customer service and they had me try a patch to repair adobe printing issues, but it did not work...she did say that the margins seem to be off in IE7, but I nor she, had any idea how to configure those...

Ok – Then the problem is not with your Printer – You have to configure your Browser Print Settings –
What Browser are you using?

You might consider – using – Firefox – Free Download from – Geeks to Go – Better Browser –
[It is M$ Fool Proof] – [Easier to Configure] – [Faster]

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Also the pdf File – was it really pdf – or hml – you may need to set that setting also –

The advantage of a – Laser Printer – is that a Laser Printer has 0.2- Inch Margins – which means it should print the web pages better -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 16 February 2007 - 10:25 AM.

jennefur8675

jennefur8675

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
thanks for all your help, i did resolve the margin issue by changing the margin settings in my browser....still working on the acrobat issue, i will follow up with brothers tech suppert for their patch...

THANKS!!!!!!