Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Product Key does not work

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys, hope this is in the correct forum. Well I decided to buy a genuine copy of winxp home, from e-bay. Sent pretty quickly, no problem. Then when I tried to install, it would not except the product key which was sent with the cd. I have sent the Guy an e-mail to that effect, and am at this moment in time, waiting for a reply. But could any of you suggest what I might have to do about this, if I get no joy from him. I hope I do, but I am planning ahead, so as to speak.

Thanks in advance.

Lucky

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
There isn't anything you can do if the Key entered doesn't work. Only thing you can do is wait for the guy to reply to your email.

Fenor

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Sounds like the key has already been used... Email the guy saying you want a FULL refund...and leave negative feedback for him on eBay.

:whistling:

Alternatively, email Microsoft asking for their support...im sure they will help if you can prove the version you have is genuine.

Edited by BARROS, 16 February 2007 - 11:09 AM.

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Thanks for the quick help Guys. Much appreciatted.

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
http://www.microsoft.../Reporting.mspx

Spider-Man

Spider-Man

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
You can also make a complaint to eBay, and (if you paid by Paypal) Paypal, who, as this is a strict legal subject, will restrict the sellers access and freeze their Paypal account. You can also take the matter up with Microsoft as if the seller is still using the XP key then sold his right to using the key on his or any other computer he has installed it on, is technically breaking piracy laws. I advise you to at least make eBay aware of this so that eBay can become the safe online auction site it deserves to be.

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
How long do you think I should give this guy to reply. I want to give him the chance to redeem himself first. I know, some would not, but that is me.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Well you have to remember that people have their lives outside of eBay so I would give him another 2 days. If no reply after the next 2 days then you can make a formal complaint about him to eBay...

If they cant do anything about it then Microsoft is your next answer...

It really is shocking that people will sell things that are useless to people in this day and age...

Let us know how you get on :whistling:

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Ok, will do Barros. thanks again, to all for the help, and advice.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Im glad we could help you :whistling:

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys, I just thought I would bring you up to date on that prob I had, re win xp. The Guy has at last written to me and it was a genuine letter. I am glad now that I gave him enough time to get back to me. He did say it should install, but if it still does not, he will refund the cash. Can't ask for more than that.

All the best again.

Lucky.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Good to hear :whistling:

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Problem solved. It installed no problem this time, clean install. Thank you all once again for your help. Appreciatted.

Lucky.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Ohh it worked? Nice one :whistling: You might have entered the key incorrectly the first time...dont worry we all do that lol