Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

INSTALL XP HOME OVER XP PRO

• Please log in to reply

dubtub

dubtub

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After having my Dell 4600(40 gig hd/256mem) repaired, it was returned to me with Wxp pro sp2 os, rather than the orignal xp home. Called MS for a product code, no luck, Can I reinstall xp home over top of xp pro?And/or what else would I have to do? I have reinstallation cds that came with the dell. I'm not to sharp on this stuff. Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

If you have backed up your files, documents, etc., and you have your Dell Resource CD that contains all the drivers, I'd say pop in the Windows XP Home CD (Dell's Restore CD), format the drive, install Windows XP Home and start over.

Why would your repair guy install a different OS? That makes no sense! It should be easily corrected, though.

Please post back if you have any problems installing.