Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Yellow Question Marks

• Please log in to reply

windr

windr

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
how do you get rid of them...

the devices highlighted are ethernet connection; multimedia auditory;sm bus control; universal sound, and video control (all within the major heading of Other Devices)...

assuming the yellow question marks indicate the need for appropriate drivers, I went to the dell download site and could not locate the necessary drivers...

am i wrong in my assumption or am i looking in the wrong area...

the computer is a dell dimension 4600 and running windows xp...

any help would be most appreciated...

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Those yellow questions marks mean something wrong with those devices. If you have your Dell Resource, put it in your CD drive. Allow the Resource program to install. Take the CD out and reboot. Then put the CD back in the drive, click Start, All Programs, Dell Accessories, Dell Resource CD. It will load a list of devices for your computer and you'll have the opportunity to install the drivers.

If you don't have the CD, you can download all the drivers from support.dell.com. Click Drivers & Downloads. On the next screen, put in your Service Tag or put in your computer model. Choose your Operating System on the next screen.

Please post back if you have any trouble.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Just to add to LindaGails reply...

The link below should take you to the download page for your system. Make sure you install the chipset driver first, then go back to device manager & see which devices still require drivers.

http://support.euro....l...WW1&osl=EN#

windr

windr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Those yellow questions marks mean something wrong with those devices. If you have your Dell Resource, put it in your CD drive. Allow the Resource program to install. Take the CD out and reboot. Then put the CD back in the drive, click Start, All Programs, Dell Accessories, Dell Resource CD. It will load a list of devices for your computer and you'll have the opportunity to install the drivers.

If you don't have the CD, you can download all the drivers from support.dell.com. Click Drivers & Downloads. On the next screen, put in your Service Tag or put in your computer model. Choose your Operating System on the next screen.

Please post back if you have any trouble.

hi lindaGail,

went to support.dell.com; clicked drivers and downloads; placed service tag, etc...

problem is i don't know how to access the appropriate downloads for the following:
Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio Controller
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

windr

windr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Just to add to LindaGails reply...

The link below should take you to the download page for your system. Make sure you install the chipset driver first, then go back to device manager & see which devices still require drivers.

http://support.euro....l...WW1&osl=EN#

samm,

followed your instructions and the New Hardware Wizard still needs to install software for:

Ethernet Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
USB Controller
Video Controller

therein lies my problem as to what drivers and where are they located...

windr

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So do you not have the Resource CD? 'Cause that would makes things so much easier :whistling:

Is your Dimension the 4600 or 4600C? Because the components are slighly different for those models.

windr

windr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

So do you not have the Resource CD? 'Cause that would makes things so much easier :whistling:

Is your Dimension the 4600 or 4600C? Because the components are slighly different for those models.

LindaGail,

we are looking at the 4600...

after installing the chipset driver R58208, i was able to find the drivers for 3 of the 4 devices...

they were installed in the following order: Audio - R94481
Video - R79733
Network - R67150

yet to find the driver for Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller...

windr

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Installing the Chip Set should install the USB Controller. I just went back to Dell's site and the Chip Set driver is R58201, not R58208. I'm not sure it that was a typo or not...

But first, try to update the driver for the USB Controller. Open Device Manager, right click the USB Controller, Update Driver. Try the "automatic" installation, then if that's unsuccessful, try to "install from a specific location". The driver should be in the ChipSet folder at C:\Dell\Drivers\R58208 [per your post]).

If that doesn't work, go back to Dell's site and download and install the Chip Set driver R58201. After installing it and rebooting, check the USB Controller. If it didn't automatically get installed, try to update the driver automatically, then if unsuccessful, try the manual way (C:\Dell\Drivers\R58201).

windr

windr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Installing the Chip Set should install the USB Controller. I just went back to Dell's site and the Chip Set driver is R58201, not R58208. I'm not sure it that was a typo or not...

Good Day LindaGail...

i stand corrected, that in fact should have read: R58201...

i'll follow your instructions and post the results...

windr

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just want to point out, that sometimes the SM BUS CONTROLLER is installed AFTER you install Service Pack 2. Of course if you install SP2 and have not installed the chipset drivers yet, then it of course will not be installed.

Just wanted to let you know that in case you install the chipset drivers and the SM BUS CONTROLLER is still showing up with a yellow ! in the Device Manager.

Fenor

windr

windr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
here's an update:

The wizard could not find the sofltware in the automatic (recommended) mode....

so i tried the second option...

The wizard in the install from a list or specific location mode resulted in a Pop Up Window which read: "The location you specified does not contain any device information file. Please enter another location or uncheck the 'Include this location in the search' box.

This pop up was baffling becuase the driver was in fact located at C:backslashDellbackslashDriversbackslashR5801...

at any rate, i unchecked the "Include this location in the search" box and then another screen appeared which gave me a series of choices one of which dealt with USB's...

at this point i am navigating uncharted waters and just went for it and lo and behold when i checked back to the device manager there was no yellow question mark in front of other devices, in fact that heading did not even appear....

however, looking down the list there was an exlamation mark on one of the USB devices...

after a series of attempts got that cleared by uninstalling driver...

all appears well, but i would like to change usb from slow to fast speed...

how do we do that...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm glad you all the devices installed!

all appears well, but i would like to change usb from slow to fast speed...

I don't understand the question. Are you talking about USB1.1 to USB2.0? The transfer rate is determined by the port on your computer and then by the device plugged in. If you have USB1.1 ports on your computer, then the transfer rate is up to 12mbps.

Look at this article that explains USB1.1 and USB2.0, and how to detemine what you have on your computer.

If you still have questions, please post back.