Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading el computer

• Please log in to reply

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Wow its been awhile since I visited these forums. But some time ago I was considering updating the video card on our old comp. But the more I think about it, I'm really looking to update most of the parts on this computer. I'd really like the experience of doing it and I think with a 250$ price range I could do some significant changes.

For starters, the computer looks like this:

Athlon XP 2600+
Asus NForce2 A7N8X Deluxe
1 GB CAS-2 Corsair CMX (DDR 400)
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (AGP obviously)
430 Watt Power Supply (built in with the case).

Now originally I just was going to go for a faster XP CPU until I realized I couldn't really find any on the market. The ones that I did find were ridiculously overpiced compared the single core AMD 64 chips on the market.

So now I'm thinking that I should just upgrade and get a AMD 64 CPU and a new motherboard to go with it. But now I'm stuck between the two socket choices. Do I go for 754 or 939? Honestly I don't know the difference between the two socket types. It was my understanding that socket 939 was essentially made for the X2 line and so it really wouldn't be advantageous to a single core CPU. But I'm not even sure that is correct.

I'm thinking of just buying a 939 just for conviences' sake. The 754 selection of motherboards is relatively limited while 939's are still quite plentiful. But here is my other gripe. My current video card is an AGP and I have yet to find a 939 motherboard on Newegg that can support AGP. And then I'm starting to replace three components which makes it seem a bit daunting to do.

Through some very simple searching I was able to discover this bundle.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103035

Its 754 CPU and a DFI Compatible motherboard. All for $80.99
The motherboard doesn't seem too stellar however, and it also doesn't support AGP.

Now the 939 combo I was looking at is this
An AMD 64 4000+ (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103037) for around 75$. Its the best I can get before going into FX territory, and for 3$ more I get an extra 512kb of L2 cache.

The motherboard I'm looking at is the Asus A8N5X which is around 77$
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131569

I'm really not so sure about the motherboard to be honest. It seems like a good, solid contender. But to be honest there are so many manufacturers and so many different types made by each and they honestly all look like the same [bleep] to me. I don't fool around with overclocking and I'm not going to be doing anything super tech elite so I don't need titles like "deluxe" or "extreme" or any of that crap. I just want something that gives good performance. So if anyone has a better suggestion please list it.

But with the 939 upgrade, i'm running around 150$ already. Which I'm quite pleased with, becuase it leaves room for a video-card because most likely i'm going to have to upgrade that. And I'm sure I can find something that will do the job (I'm not looking for mind blowing performance).

Just a few other notes here. I'm really hoping I can keep my RAM, because its performed great all these years. I'm pretty sure I can. But my main concern is the PSU. Will 430 Watts be enough with these new upgrades? I'm really screwed when it comes to that because the case has the PSU built in. So I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that it will be more than adequate for the the AMD 64 line (and most likely the new video card which I'm still debating on). Also, I'm very new to this whole thing. This would be my first upgrading job ever. I've had some experience with taking out hardware. Well, the most I've ever done was replace the [bleep] fan on the X1900XTX with a better one. Taking out a motherboard and putting in a new one along with a CPU is challenging enough. Upgrading all the BIOS and software and stuff... that is honestly the part that worries me most. I'm very inept when it comes to that stuff. Is getting everything to run smoothly relatively easy to do? Or will I be in over my head?

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
I would actually look into, if you can, getting an AM2 socket motherboard, as that is newer than the 939 socket.

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I would actually look into, if you can, getting an AM2 socket motherboard, as that is newer than the 939 socket.

I considered AM2 but I really don't want to pay for new RAM. Again, I'm trying to keep my budget under $250. I'd really prefer to spend under $200 but I added $50 in for legroom with the video card. Plus, and this is just my assumption, an AM2 upgrade would probably cost more.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
AMD has now stopped production of the 939 processors. Prices will drop to get rid of inventory and then there will be no support for them at all next year. Just thought you might want to know.

SRX660

SecretMaster

SecretMaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

AMD has now stopped production of the 939 processors. Prices will drop to get rid of inventory and then there will be no support for them at all next year. Just thought you might want to know.

SRX660

I'm aware and actually thats why it is very appealing. 939 is dirt right now. If I went AM2 I'd also have to change my memory and DDR2 prices are quite expensive as it is. Also, this is our secondary comp. I'm just trying to put one last bit of oomph into, so that maybe 2 years down the road it still might be able to handle whatever is released. I'm not expecting world class performance, I'm just looking to give this baby and extra year or two.

Had this been our main comp, I would have just gone and started a new build. But our other comp has an AM2 5000+, 2 gig RAM, X1900XTX, 320gb HD. Thats the one that will be doing most of the gaming. But this one, like I said, just an easy, cheap solution to make it last a bit longer.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
939 is more expensive than AM2...