Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Problem

• Please log in to reply

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
15-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]26th FEB-2007

Ok – In this Post – I will go over each line answer with you & give comments – Some of the comments may be for my notation – And maybe a quick solution attempt – if a thought is triggered ??

The next Post will/should contain
– USB Status Report / USB Printer Report
– List of probable problem/s
– Repair Options/procedure

1.The software installed fine. I have lexmark suite on my desktop - that seems fine too.

Of course, you already realize – This is good. However – I did ask for – Software Details
1. Did any of the Software get installed?
2. What did the Desktop Icon Contain – Or was it an empty folder
3. How many Folders
4. Name & Description of each Folder
5. Inspect your Lexmark Printer Box Contents for a – USB Adaptor Plug Device that may be required[/quote]
This is a problem – You do not completely answer my questions – Only what you – Think I need – And I am to - Assume – That this – USB Adaptor Plug Device – is non-existing?

2. There are no yellow signs.

This means that – Device Manager – is satisfied with all the Drivers that are installed – But it does not mean – Plug & Play – and your – Windows Applications – are satisfied – This could mean
1. Corrupt Driver
2. Defective USB Port
3. Defective USB Connection
4. ***Printer was not configured/assigned to USB Port*** – Was the HP Printer USB or Parallel[/b] However – Plug & Play – did initially find the printer?? Then forgot what it was??

3. In Driver Details for USB Printing Support(D), the only thing I see is C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbprint.sys

usbprint.sys is the correct driver -

4. There are 2 USB Root HUB folders(D) and they both have the same driver details - the driver details are C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbd.sys and C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys

1. usbhub.sys – is the correct driver for this folder
2. usbd.sys – is a USB Data Device Driver – Probably used for Camera and/or Cell Phone
3. usbd.sys – driver may be a problem - ?? – Could be issuing a – Stop Command ?? You do not need this for the printer – ***This may be the problem***

5. There is no "other devides" folder

This means that – Device Manager – has found compatible drivers

. There is 1 "unkown device" folder(L) - there are no drivers installed and I cannot update driver. the status is "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)"

This is where – Device Manager – placed your printer after Plug & Play installed it?? ****It could very well be the result of the – usbd.sys USB Driver – found in the – USB Root Hub**** -

7. In Imaging Device Folder, Lexmark 8300 Series(D) is listed. The driver details are:
C:\Program Files\8300 Series\lxcjdrs.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbscan.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lxcjdrs.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wiafbdrv.dll
C:\Twain_32\Lexmark\8300 Series\lxcjtwds.ds

That looks Ok – Normal USB Scanner Driver – usbscan.sys is scanner driver
– The – dll – Files are for the different applications that control the scanner – This will grow – when you use other applications -

I have 4 USB Mass Storage folders - 1 is "D" and 3 are "L"
Driver Details for all the folders are:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS

That looks normal also – The (1) Present Instance – is the current Memory for your All-in-One Unit. The other (3) are – Non present Instances – of this same device whenever you had PC – On without the Printer turned On -

8. I don't have a USB Modem Folder.

Ok – for now - I guess??

9. I don't have any Enhanced USB Controllers or anything similar.

Yes I noticed this in Everest Port – Now your Motherboard is listed to Support USB 2.0 – ***Might be a BIOS Setting that needs set***

10. I don't have any USB 2.0 Controllers or anything similar.
Same thing as above

11. Lexmark USB Memory Card Storage Drive is not listed in My Computer.
This may be another issue - ?? May need looking into after printer is resolved – or this may be the The Unknown Device??

12. In the printers panel, my lexmark is the default printer.
Good – Check on Properties – ****Ports Tab – for USB Port Setting***

13. Mainboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4S-LA
Agrees with Everest Report

14. I have 4 USB ports
Ok-

15. I have a mouse using 1 USB port.
Ok-

16. I've had a printer(hp) and a scanner(hp) installed before and I had no issues. My camera and cell phone uses the the USB ports and again, no problems what so ever. This is the first time I'm experiencing issues installing a plug-n-play device.

I need DETAILS??? -Printer & Scanner – Same Unit/Individual ?? – USB or Parallel ?? –
Is Win XP the native OS for this system – or was it upgraded from WIN-9X ??

Ok - Try this Quick Solution - (2 Parts)

1st -Open Device Manager – Go to USB Root HUB Folders & Uninstall the usbd.sys driver – at least from the port that printer is on – It may be possible that this little fella is disconnecting USB Data???? do this with Printer turned off – Probably be a good idea to – Restart PC -

2nd – Now connect Printer & Turn – ON – If you are lucky – either Plug & Play will find printer and install – And/or – The Non-present Instance of the printer will transform into Present Instance – And printer will function??
See what happens with this idea – about – usbd.sys driver for USB Data Devices -??

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 26 February 2007 - 08:30 AM.

Advertisements

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The software was installed

The desktop icon contains 9 main folders
a. Manage Documents
b. Manage Photos
c. Visit Lexmark Online
d. Scan
e. Copy
f. Fax
g. Attach to Email
h. Scan & Edit text (OCR)
i. Scan to PDF
And on the very bottom, we have "Tips", "Maintain/ Troubleshoot", "Online Tutorial".

I don't know what to look for when I'm searching for the USB Adaptor Plug Device. My guess is that my printer doesn't have one, but I'm not 100% sure.

I had 2 seperate devices installed. 1 was an HP 3-in-one and the other was just an HP scanner. I had windows XP Pro when they were installed and still use the same OS

I will try the "Quick Solution" and report back.

supraman383

supraman383

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I can't uninstall the usbd.sys driver. I even tried going straight to the drivers folder and deleting it but everytime I try to, it just reappears after a few seconds.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
16-supraman383[Lexmark X8350 All-in-One Printer Issue]28th FEB-2007

I don't know what to look for when I'm searching for the USB Adaptor Plug Device. My guess is that my printer doesn't have one, but I'm not 100% sure.

Lexmark is a – Manufacturer – for one of Dell’s Proprietary Printer – And I thought that this printer may have had – An altered USB Port – That would have been corrected by use of a – dongle plug] – It would have been – Adaptor with – USB Type-B Plug – for Printer Connection – and an USB Type-B Receptacle – for USB Printer Cable. – If it was there – I think that you would have recognized it – It was just something I read somewhere –

I can't uninstall the usbd.sys driver. I even tried going straight to the drivers folder and deleting it but everytime I try to, it just reappears after a few seconds.

That is interesting – Do you know if this printer – Is able to print photos – Directly from Camera? – If it is then that is probably the reason that driver was installed/required –

In Driver Details for USB Printing Support(D), the only thing I see is C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\usbprint.sys

I just noticed that you indicated that this folder is now shown as – Present Device – This is line with my problem suspicion -

I even tried going straight to the drivers folder

Do you mean - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS Folder? – If you do then try this –

1. Open the – C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS Folder
2. Alter the name of – usbd.sys driver – to – usbd22.sys – This is done by – (Right Click Driver) – Select Rename Option)
3. Now go to – Device Manager – Then Uninstall the driver – usbd.sys – in the Driver Folder of the USB Root Hub – Using the – Uninstall Button –
4. Connect Printer & Turn ON –
5. Any Printer communication now???

Ok – Post back the results from above –
This is – My Position as of now – We are just spinning wheels -

1. The USB Controller is the – Chipset North Bridge SiS 650 – (Silicon Integrated Systems Corporation). SIS Chipsets are Hardware instruction intensive – Standard Open Host Controller Interface –
2. SiS Chipsets has documented USB problems – And this problem appears to fall within the parameters –
3. There are several procedures that can be tried – which we can do – but ultimately – The most effective & simplest is to – Purchase & Install a – USB 2.0 PCI Expansion Card
4. Everest indicates that you have an – Open PCI Expansion Slot # 1 – Verify that you have this slot open & that you have enough space to install an average size PCI card –
5. Recommended Card – Only NEC USB Chipset – Belkin F5U220v1 – Cost ~ $35.00 + Tax & Shipping . . . . . . https://www.usb-2-0.com/f5u220v1.html

I think that this would be the quickest & easiest method to get your Lexmark online & functioning for you -

Jack123
EDITED - added photo

Belkin F5U220v1 Card - 01_Belkin__F5U220v1_USB_2_0_PCI.jpg

Edited by Jack123, 28 February 2007 - 05:40 PM.