Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why would some one bulid there own system look here

• Please log in to reply

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I have bulit a new computer already. I decided to just do a comparison here with buy the part your self and buy the computer already made I used a company called cyberpower.com to compare. I thought this was intresting what ya guys thing.

I used a place called clubit.com for my parts great prices in my opinion or newegg would be about the same as they have a lot of fans.
---------------------------------------------------
1. Here is my price list from clubit.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cpu- Amd 64x2 $185.99
case- thermaltake armor series tower $215.99
os- microsoft windows vista ultimate 64bit $196.99
mother board- gigabyte ga m55sli-s4 sli $$87.99
Video card- Evga Geforce 8800gts $296.88
power suppley- OCZ game extrem 600watt nividia
Certifiedhard drive 1. wd. 150gb 10,000rpm raptor $242.99
lite on 20 x dvd burner light scribe $37.48
hard drive 2. WD. 320gb 16mb c. $85.99
lite on dvd rom 21.99
memory- partiot extreme 2gb (2x1gb) $233.99

END PRICE Shipped is- $1,766.97

Edited by matthew staton, 17 February 2007 - 02:57 PM.

Advertisements

matthew staton

matthew staton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
OK now At cyber power I got all the same parts as I picked but a few changes here are the changes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
clubitCase - went from thermal take to a Coolmaster 830 tower which cost more.
cyber power also- got a free internal 12in 1 card reader
cyber power The memory was corsair select over the patriot as they did not have the patriot
cyberpower dvd rom was a sony rather than a light on Sony cost a little more
clubit power supley was changed from the OCZ to the thermaltake toughpower 600 watt both sli nividia certified.

Those were the only changes and you get a 3 year warranty for $1892.00 shipped from cyber power I think I would rather take the cyber power deal.

Edited by matthew staton, 17 February 2007 - 02:59 PM.

matthew staton

matthew staton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
For $125.03 Diference I would go with the cyber power in a heartbeat just my opinion IT is the same parts for the most part. What ya guys think. :blink: :whistling:

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
If your someone who doesnt enjoy system building and values a warrenty from a company then go for it. Most of the parts you are buying would come with some type of hardware warrenty with the company you are purchsaing them from, but if you want a finished product with a warrenty from the company and theres not some large shipping cost then go for it if its part for part! :whistling:

MatthewG

MatthewG

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
It seems like a good deal. However, unless that is all the stuff you would want anyways, you could potentially build a nicer/more personalized setup for the same. Eg. if you dont game that video card might be $100 overkill.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Cyberpower are good, my laptop is cyberpower. Currently its with them to fix some minor problems (and upgrade my 1.8 to a 2.0ghz)!

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Personally I'd rather build my own. The computer I have now is made of parts that I feel are quality parts. I am not saying Cyberpower is not...but a lot of times if you buy a cheap dell...oh yes the 2.0 gig is fine....oh 17 monitor SWEET......they are going to give you 1 gig of ram.....hmmmm what type of ram? Value brand crap? Most likely.

What about the graphics card...OH LOOK it's INTEGRATED! WOOT!

I like knowing that I put everything in my system...from the cpu...to the hard drives.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
I think you will also feel more satisfaction and a sense of pride knowing you built your own rig, and will be able to feel more comfortable at the computer and will also have a more avid sense of knowing your parts if component trouble did arise in the machine!

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Personally I'd rather build my own. The computer I have now is made of parts that I feel are quality parts. I am not saying Cyberpower is not...but a lot of times if you buy a cheap dell...oh yes the 2.0 gig is fine....oh 17 monitor SWEET......they are going to give you 1 gig of ram.....hmmmm what type of ram? Value brand crap? Most likely.

I like knowing that I put everything in my system...from the cpu...to the hard drives.

i think its funny to see people whom buy pc's at a local stor ex. walmart. read the label and see the big word "integrated graphics" and think its special lol. i would rather build my own pc, though do not have the money i trust my judgment and building better than a company, even local computer stores

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

i think its funny to see people whom buy pc's at a local stor ex. walmart. read the label and see the big word "integrated graphics" and think its special lol. i would rather build my own pc, though do not have the money i trust my judgment and building better than a company, even local computer stores

Yes but when you build your pc you don't have to spend the big bucks that you would spend at the local store. The first time I built mine I would get parts in every week for about a month and half before I had the complete machine. Buy the parts you want and get them in.

Also if you use PRICEWATCH.COM you can build some pretty powerful setups that are much better than what any store offers normally. No matter where you buy...they glip something in the computer.....whether it's the cheap graphics card...the value ram....how about the power supplies that die after two months (gotta LOVE those!)

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Yes but when you build your pc you don't have to spend the big bucks that you would spend at the local store. The first time I built mine I would get parts in every week for about a month and half before I had the complete machine. Buy the parts you want and get them in.

Also if you use PRICEWATCH.COM you can build some pretty powerful setups that are much better than what any store offers normally. No matter where you buy...they glip something in the computer.....whether it's the cheap graphics card...the value ram....how about the power supplies that die after two months (gotta LOVE those!)

the ones they throw in thats way underpowered? a emachine i had was a p4 and they had a 145w in it.

matthew staton

matthew staton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
My point of the thread was . I bulid the same computer with all the same Top quality parts. The Cyber power gave a 3 year warranty and To bulid the same computer. I would have been $200 bucks more just to buy the new parts from new egg. I don't see why so many people talk down on these companys Like cyber power and Ibuypower.I think they give you a great deal for a good quality computer. Unlike hp,dell, and e machines that every one no's there junk. :whistling: :blink:

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
But what we have constantly stated over and over again is that YOUR NOT GETTING QUALITY PARTS. You many think you are and while some companies have better rep than others NOT on computer ever built is made with 100% quality parts at decent prices. ONLY when you build your own computer do you know what goes inside of it.

As for you statement with the 3 year warranty. Guess what? Buy quality and you don't need that. Think of Toyota's extended warranty is [bleep]...why BECAUSE ITS A GOOD CAR. Same with computers you build. When you know what goes inside you have MORE control over better parts.

But in the end its up to you. Some people believe that by building their own they gain a certain satisfaction. But it is not for everyone.

As for your money comparison. I am sorry but you are just wrong. I guess if your buying your gear from walmart you might pay close to what you would buy from Ipower or whatever but if I price a computer and then go look a price watch and price DECENT parts it is ALWAYS LOWER. Only once or twice has it been higher...and that is because of the deals they get with software.