Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows does not recognize my usb ports

• Please log in to reply

cheriw50

cheriw50

• Pip
  • 2 posts
windows does not recognize my usb ports
I install drivers and it works for awhile then goes off again. shows no drivers installed
when it does this

Advertisements

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Have a look in your device manager to see what's going on. Click the windows key and pause/break key at the same time to get the system properties box, then click on the hardware tab. Click device manager. Once in the device manager you should see where the problems are. Anything flagged should be right clicked and then click update driver.

Once you've finished getting rid of all of the flagged drivers, right click on your computers name in device manager (at the top) and click scan for hardware changes. This should then either show as all working ok or show you any additional issues. If any more are shown, repeat the earlier driver update step.

Once you've gotten to a state where you've scanned for hardware changes and all appears to be working fine, you need to close down all apps and restart your machine.

If problems persist, there are additional steps to resolve.

Stevie

Edited by exparisstevie, 18 February 2007 - 06:36 AM.

cheriw50

cheriw50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've already done all that
There are no flags
Says everything is working properly but when
i plug anything in to any of my usb ports says windows does
not recognize it

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
OK, Let's try a couple of things. Firstly can you clear up a bit of clutter on your pc (if there is any) go to filehippo.com and get a copy of ccleaner. Install and run the app. Clean your pc with this but DON'T use the registry fixes unless you know your registry well and know what it's offering to fix before you do! (most people don't and so don't use this part of the software)

Once done. open a run dialogue (windows key and R) and type chdsk /r (<--- notice the space) click y when prompted and restart your pc.

Once done, run a defrag and then restart.

Next get a copy of TuneUp Utilities (tuneup.com) install and run

In Tuneup - click the clean up and repair tab on the left, then tune up registry cleaner (on the right) and follow process through (take note that it'll ask you to check again) - Now restart

Once restarted, run tuneup again and this time click on the optimize and improve tab run the system optimizer(on theright) . When you're done restart again.

Once restarted run tuneup again and click the optimize and improve tab, click registry defrag (at this point, make sure you're not online & deactivate your antivirus as this gets in the way - not your firewall though) let it run. It will ask you to restart and that's you done. Let me know how it goes please

Stevie