Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Autorun thumb/pen drive

• Please log in to reply

JCSullivan

JCSullivan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Would anyone know of a way I can make a thumb drive autorun without having to install an application to recognise it, on the pc.

I would use the thumb drive on various pcs so wouldn't have the time to pre-install software on the PC.

I know autorun is CD technology but surely there must be a way...or is it just wishful thinking.

Thank you.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Windows XP should recognise any thumb drive without any additional software being required.

Edited by pip22, 19 February 2007 - 05:43 AM.

JCSullivan

JCSullivan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
PIP thanks for the reply. My question not simple recognition but autorun of the thumb drive as in autorun of CD or DVD.

Thanks

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
And also, making a flash drive able to 'auto-run' would be useless if the drive isn't recognized anyways.

Fenor

JCSullivan

JCSullivan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just to make things clear - The drive is recognised as a device.

I want it to autorun.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What do you want to autorun on the flash drive? Windows XP automatically opens up the window asking you what you want to do, aka open the drive to view the files/folders, etc...

Fenor

JCSullivan

JCSullivan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The inf of course. I know windows asks. I don't want it to ask - just like a CD - get it!