Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost CDRW and DVD drives

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, my network places, view workgroup computers, do you have the laptop and desktop shown

Advertisements

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
no there is nothing there.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If both are on then you probably haven't installed home networking

This is how Zapr works

Click this and you should be able to transfer a file

Post back if you transferred it

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi, yes i opened it thru music match, this web site has not sent me a email to validate my registration yet. I tried several times but i get the idea now. thank you.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it does not arrive, Yahoo e-mail addresses arrive quickly, you can make one just for this if you want

https://edit.yahoo.c...r...com&.src=ym

If there is a lot you can start the transfer and let it run overnight

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Wow keith you was right. I got it right away thru yahoo. I set it all up but am having a problem with IE, it hangs and then asks if i want to send error report. It has been doing that lately. I posted that at another section and am waiting for help for that. I will let you know how this all goes with Zapr. Thank you so much for all your help, That was really nice of you to help me so much. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, delete browsing history, delete all, then try it

Hope it goes well

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
:whistling: Hi Keith i am back. I am downloading to Zapr but it says I am sending folders not files? is that right? I think I am just going to go out and get a flash drive, most of the things I want to save, should still be here when and if i restore to factory. My pictures are at web sites, etc. I just can't figure all of this out. You have been so patient and a great help, thank you.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can create a folder, put whatever files you want in to it and then send that

Another option is to do the same but then right click the folder, click send to, send to compressed zipped folder, then upload it here,

http://www.spread-it.com/

You get a link to download it to the laptop

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Great News Keith!!!!! I have my drives back. Problem is, I am not real sure how I did it. lol. I went back to F12 set up, hit load defaults again, which I did so many times yesterday, then I noticed where it reads Hot keys load defaults, I hit Post Hot Keys by chance, restore to factory setting I think and wah lah, my drives are back. I checked them all out and they are working. Thank you so much for your help and patience. I am not sure how I did it but I got them back. I wish I really knew for sure so i could help someone else in the future. Thanks again!! :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
All's well that ends well

Thank You for letting me know

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Your very welcome! Thank you for your help. i am not out of the woods yet though. The drives are not playing right. In My computer it shows two CD roms. I have a DVD recorder and it won;t reocrd. I am on my quest now to fix that.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That could be down to firmware, the thing to watch is that you get the correct one as they are usually irreversible

Amigatu

Amigatu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hi Keith, I contaced Dell and asked them to take over my computer and fix the problem. He took control, uninstalled the drivers at device manager and reinstalled them. Now my drives are showing DVD . I tried them out and everything is working again. do you think this was all caused by a registry cleaner? I am taking that right out of my computer after this post. Never again will i use one if you think that is what caused it. :blink: I won't use one again anyway. I don't know enough to fix the problems after but I just learn't something new this time. I learn thru trial and error, mostly error. Thanks again keith for all your help. You are a wonderful person and very patient. :help: I am sure I will have the pleasure of your knowledge again in the near future, :help: :whistling: Have a great day!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Glad things are running now

Which registry cleaner did you use?