Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scanning every download?

• Please log in to reply

ekikos

ekikos

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi,
im using windows xp sp2. my question is: is there a way to set the pc to scan every download from the internet using my antivirus (mcafee) automatically?

thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
No, not as you download them, they have to be on your PC in order for the scanner to check them. But the on-access scanner will prevent you from running or opening any infected files anyway, so that's as good as what you're suggesting. You can also set up a daily schedule to scan your system. In any event, you shouldn't rely totally on automatic virus-checking, convenient as it may be. I always use the right-click "scan for viruses" option on every download I get.

Edited by pip22, 19 February 2007 - 12:00 PM.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
how about using a download manager will it be possible then? i scan every download as well....but this way it will be so much easier.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know about McAfee but Avast can do that. Lately I replaced AVG with Avast for a number of reasons. One of the most important was that I was looking for an antivirus that can block infected files before they enter the computer. AVG could do this with .exe files but couldn't with compressed files. Avast can do both. I tried to download with Limewire some compressed files that you could tell immediately that they are infected. None passed Avast.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
thanks for your advise.