Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting a New Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Texximan

Texximan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey!

I have a question for all the geeks who are masters with laptops/notebooks. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop, since my current one is a Dell Latitude C640. I'm a serious gamer; I play all kinds of games on my computer from MMORPGs to basic games like Checkers. So I'm not really sure which laptop to buy, since there are so many.

Here's a list of requirements for the notebook:

- Can't be over $850
- Must be compatible with Windows Vista
- Meant for entertainment; games & movies

So if you happen to know a laptop that would fit me, please tell me the name!

Thanks!

Sorry if this is in the wrong category!

Edited by Texximan, 19 February 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
For the price you can't really have a gaming laptop, Vista compatible, ok, but I very much doubt you will get 3D games out of this thing. http://www.dell.com/ have fantastic deals on very high quality laptops have a look there. If you aren't sure which one to choose give a post back here and I'll help you choose one specifically.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hey!

I have a question for all the geeks who are masters with laptops/notebooks. I'm thinking of buying a new laptop, since my current one is a Dell Latitude C640. I'm a serious gamer; I play all kinds of games on my computer from MMORPGs to basic games like Checkers. So I'm not really sure which laptop to buy, since there are so many.

Here's a list of requirements for the notebook:

- Can't be over $850
- Must be compatible with Windows Vista
- Meant for entertainment; games & movies

So if you happen to know a laptop that would fit me, please tell me the name!

Thanks!

Sorry if this is in the wrong category!

You wont be able to find especially a laptop for $850 that will be able to play games for the "Serious Gamer".

Dell has one low end laptop The E1505 dual core inspiron that is customizable.

If you get it with default settings it runs $749 but you are getting all low end stuff and the slowest items. It only has an integrated video card which will not play your games well at all. The Intel Integrated graphics really blow big time but it would be fine for a business/work/school laptop, NOT GAMING!!

If you upgrade to a 7300gs go video card its only $129.00 more added to the beginning price but that brings you above your budget. The 7300gs is a slow video card but you would be able to play games on it okay with low settings. Im warning you it is a very slow card and is not intended for a Serious Gamer.. If you want a Gaming laptop be prepared to spend minimum of $1500 and that is considered cheap and up to $2500 and $3000 but you dont have to have a $3000 laptop to play games at good framerates. For about $1800 you can get a pretty good laptop for gaming but more than likely it will have a mid range video card in it and some of the stuff inside of it will still be alittle slow but not all items inside of it.

Laptops cost more than what you can do with a Desktop. With a desktop you can get a custom built one for alot less than a Serious Gaming Laptop and it can be faster.