Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Vaio PC has 16GB on C drive and 69GB on D drive

• Please log in to reply

lorraine48

lorraine48

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I hope I am in the right place. My pc has run out of useable disk space. My C drive has 16 GB of space and it says that I am completely tapped. My D drive has 69 GB. I contacted Sony which was useless, because they told me to move items from C to D, but to no avail. Please Help!! I look forward to hearing from you.
Thank you,
Lorraine

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, my computer, right click C then click properties, what is shown for free and used

Same for D

Right click shared documents and any other documents folders then click properties to get their size

lorraine48

lorraine48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
C=846 MB free
D=59.6 GB free
Shared Documents =66.8 MB size
*Lorraine's Documents = 0 bytes (location D)
*I was instructed to move the contents of this folder into the D drive by Sony*

I also have A=3 1/2 floppy
E=Memory Stick
F= DVD Drive
G=CD-RW

Edited by lorraine48, 19 February 2007 - 01:31 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, disc clean up, click more options, clean up restore points

Check C

Click start, my computer, double click C so you get all the folders

Right click each one, click properties to find out what is where

Windows could be 3 GB

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, disc clean up, click more options, clean up restore points

Check C

Click start, my computer, double click C so you get all the folders

Right click each one, click properties to find out what is where

Windows could be 3 GB

that will clean up disk space, but the problem is he has more space on the d: than on c:. is this on one harddrive? if so right-click on "my computer" hit "properties" go to the tab "system restore" now go to the hdd your on and see what percent its set at. defualt on my pc was 12%

lorraine48

lorraine48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
There are 10 file folders plus some additional exe, ini, dat, etc.
Folders are as follows:
AOL extras 144 kb
Brother 5.70 mb
Documents and settings 4.85 GB
MWASpint 370 kb
Program Files 4.56 GB
Recycler 125 bytes
System Volume Info Empty
Temp 1.19 kb
Veo setup 1.77 mb
Windows 4.85 GB

I want the most of my disk space to be located on the C drive. Is this possible to move it from D to C?

"that will clean up disk space, but the problem is he has more space on the d: than on c:. is this on one harddrive? if so right-click on "my computer" hit "properties" go to the tab "system restore" now go to the hdd your on and see what percent its set at. defualt on my pc was 12%"

i did this as well and both drives c and d are set at 12%

Please advise. Thanks for your support.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a My Documents folder on D?

lorraine48

lorraine48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes. I moved it to the D drive at the request of the Sony people, but it is usually in C.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the figures in post 6 are for C then you probably copied them rather than moved them

Double click documents and settings on C to see if you have a folder with your account name, double click it, double click My Documents

It will be empty if you moved, it will duplicate the My Documents folder on D if you copied

lorraine48

lorraine48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I must have copied them, because it is listed in the C drive. Can you help me to actually move them without copying them?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you left click the folder so it highlights, you should have options in a panel on the left

If you have a My Documents folder on D which is similar in size to the one on C, you just need to delete the duplicates from the folder in C

If you have a My Documents folder on D it will ask about overwriting when you move the one from C to D, the problem with that is it won't take in to account any editing made to the contents of the folder on D since you copied it from C

lorraine48

lorraine48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Whn I try to move the My Documents folder, it says
"Cannot remove folder my pictures: It is being used by another program or person. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."
This time I said yes instead of yes to all, and tried to move everything except My Pictures.
Now I am so confused, I don't know where to start because it shows them listed in three different places.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Close all browser windows and folders

Open My Documents on C

Open My documents on D

Right click an empty part of the taskbar, click tile windows vertically

Can you see anything in the folder in C which is already in the folder in D

If yes, you can delete the ones in the folder in C but please check they are identical in each folder

lorraine48

lorraine48

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I dont have a My Documents folder in C. I have to go to C - Lorraine - My Documents. Is that normal, or should it just be listed in C?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be able to click start and it show top right, opposite Internet Explorer