Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unreadable characters

• Please log in to reply

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hey guys,

noticed something weird with my dad's machine the other day... when you double click on the local drives in My Computer(or even removable drives), a new window opens instead of displaying the contents in the same window. Also, the context menu(right-click) shows unreadable words for the first two choices where 'Open' and 'Explore' should be..

I'm not sure if this is a virus' doing, or if it's spyware. I tried all the spyware-removal tricks in the sticky, plus his avast antivirus is up-to-date...

any ideas would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you post a Hijack This log in the Malware Forum?

neverborn

neverborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
sorry for the long-delayed reply...been busy.

turns out there were .vbs scripts that got executed whenever i double-clicked on a local disk. instead of the default 'Open' function, 'Autoplay' got executed which in turn called the .vbs files and so on... anyway i just deleted these files manually from each partition, and even on some flash drives we had. that fixed the problem.