Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing Laptop HD

• Please log in to reply

bzman24

bzman24

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

I want to upgrade my laptop (HP omnibook 6000) with a bigger HD. Will any laptop drive work? The old drive (Fijitzu DK23CA-20 is listed as ata-5). I noticed the new drives are listed as ata-6. Is this a hardware difference or is it just a speed issue?

Thanks in advance,

BZMan24

Advertisements

BungaBoy

BungaBoy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Try these guys out. They were great when I upgraded my HP notebook HD. (change the xx to tt)

hxxp://apricorn.com/

bzman24

bzman24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
BungaBoy,

Thanks.

That's the type of thing I'm looking for but they still don't answer the question about will any normal laptop drive from the major HD manufacturers fit or do I need something special. I found other drives at a better price elsewhere but no info about compatablilty.

bzman24

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
laptop hdd's are the same dimensions

bzman24

bzman24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
AnthonyJ,

Thanks.

I still have another question. If the new drive and the old drive are both the same physical size (L-W-H) then it will fit? How do I know if the connector is the same? My old Toshiba laptop used a different type of connector on it's HD. They don't show the connectors in any pictures or spec sheets that I've seen.

bzman24

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
the hdd has no built on connector except the pins. the shell your hdd is currently in will fit the new hdd, also there is a pin converter on the hdd you are using now. you just use it. if you need a more detail meaning of this i have a laptop hdd, shell, and connector i can setup a diagram

bzman24

bzman24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
AnthonyJ,

Thanks again.

I didn't realize that the holder I am now using is the adapter also. I guess that answers my questions. Thanks again for you're help. :whistling:

BZMan24 :blink:

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
A note of caution here - most laptop hard drives are the same dimension width and length, but height is a different ballgame. 9mm, 9.25mm, 9.5mm all the way up to 12.5mm are common sizes. One would be well advised to replace the current HDD with an identical or similarly sized HDD. Also, when handling - always hold by the sides as its real easy to kill a laptop HDD by inadvertently squeezing the top and bottom.

:whistling:

bzman24

bzman24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Rockster2U,

Thanks for the note of caution. I didn't realize that. I'll pay special attention to just that when replacing.

The replacement I bought was the same size except it was 9.4mm versus 9.5mm for the original.

BZMan24 :whistling: