Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram and Mobo

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
For the new computer I'm going to build I'm getting a gigabyte mobo with corsair ram. The ram's timings are 4-4-4-12 and the voltage is 2.1. The mobo says that it only supports RAM that's JEDEC 1.8v operations with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6. So i was wondering if my ram would work, and how you would find out if the ram is JEDEC approved. And if it won't work are 4-4-4 timings a lot faster or is not a big difference and is the 2.1v a big difference to 1.8v.

Mobo:
Gigabyte Mobo
RAM:
Corsair RAM

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

For the new computer I'm going to build I'm getting a gigabyte mobo with corsair ram. The ram's timings are 4-4-4-12 and the voltage is 2.1. The mobo says that it only supports RAM that's JEDEC 1.8v operations with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6. So i was wondering if my ram would work, and how you would find out if the ram is JEDEC approved. And if it won't work are 4-4-4 timings a lot faster or is not a big difference and is the 2.1v a big difference to 1.8v.

Mobo:
Gigabyte Mobo
RAM:
Corsair RAM

I have even used the corsair value select on a gigabyte core 2 duo motherboard and it worked flawlessly. Look into the corsair xms2 memory with 5-5-5 timings if it gives you any problems at all you can adjust the voltage of the memory within the bios its really easy. The corsair 5-5-5 timings is what I would get.

The voltage doesnt do a difference at all in stock memory speed of ram.. More voltage can allow better overclocking though by the memory.

The difference between the 4-4-4 and 5-5-5 timing memory is small you cannot tell the difference with your eye... You just need to stick with what is KNOWN to work and is compatible. That memory I told you about above WORKS.

Edited by jrm20, 20 February 2007 - 11:12 PM.