Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power supply/vid card ?'s

• Please log in to reply

raa12685

raa12685

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i found this refurbished comp on tigerdirect. i just had some general questions about it and upgrading it...

Comp.
I'm pretty sure in order for me to get a decent graphics card im gonna need a new power supply. so here it is.
Power supply
Here is the graphics card
V. Card

Ok now here are my questions....
1. I don't know if anyone can answer this BUT, just by looking at the photo gallery of the computer, will the power supply fit into it? (i noticed it has some weird housing around the original p. supply)
2. Will everything already in the computer be compliant with the power supply? (ie will everything plug into it)
3. Are there any obvious problems i may face?

thanks for any help!
-robin
:whistling:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Lets compare video cards first.

Geforce 6500
memory bandwidth 13.44
Fill Rate (pixels/sec) 1.6 billion
Vertices per Second (million) 300
Pixels per Clock (peak) 4
RAMDACs 400 MHz

And a Geforce 7900
GeForce 7900 GTX GeForce 7900 GT GeForce 7900 GS
Graphics Bus Technology PCI Express PCI Express PCI Express
Memory 512MB 256MB 256MB
Memory Interface 256-bit 256-bit 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 51.2 42.2 42.2
Fill Rate (Billion pixels/sec) 15.6 10.8 9
Vertices/Second 1.4 Billion 940 Million 822.5 Million
Pixels per clock (peak) 24 24 20
RAMDACs (MHz) 400 400 400

and the 7600
GeForce 7600 GT
Graphics Bus Technology PCI Express®
Memory 256MB
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 22.4
Fill Rate (Billion pixels/sec) 6.7
Vertices/Second (Millions) 700
Pixels per clock (peak) 12
RAMDACs (MHz) 400

As you can see by the bandwidth, fill rate, vertices, and pixels per clock the card you want to use is quite crippled.You can but a 7600 for $100 and a 7900 for $160 and the money will be well spent of the better graphics.

As for power supplies i do not like the ultr4a series. Better to spend the n0oney for a Antec, or Enermax that are quieter and produce more reliable power. I would also go with a PS that had 2 12 volt lines instead of one so one line can be dedicated to the graphics card.

Antec
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817103937

Enermax
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817194002

As you can see prices are not much different. I like the enermax simply because they are quieter. A pure silent high powered computer is what i am always looking for. It looks like any PS wopuld fit in that case. Nowadays, power supplys are almost generic( with a few exceptions) and most all fit every tower case computers. All plugs are also generic as there are only about 6 types of plugs. Mainboard 24 pin, molex 4pin, Sate 15 pin, floppy 4 pin, cpu 4 pin, and video card 6 pin.

SRX660