Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting computers

• Please log in to reply

MatthewG

MatthewG

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am wondering if it is possible to have my desktop and laptop side by side and be able to view eachothers hardrives on the other machine, I am imagining something like a usb to usb connection that will bring up the harddrive on each computer. I searched for a bit but nothing hit this on the head. I feel like a special program would be needed, but I just dont know. I am running vista on one and xp on the other. Thanks!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Either a direct computer connection or remote desktop will allow you to view a remote computers and your local drives. Least thats free! (relatively)

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Are they networked?

MatthewG

MatthewG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
the only thing networked is my wireless router, i use a card in my laptop and then just have a hardwire connection to the PC.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
If you have a wireless router , make both machines part of the same workgroup - (same name) and then enable file and printer sharing on each machine. Then you can select what files/folders you want to share by right clicking on a given folder and selecting sharing, then setting permissions. You would be well served to do a little reading on basic networking. 15-20 minutes and you'll feel like a genius re: what you are trying to accomplish.

Without a router, you could use a CAT5 crossover or a special USB cable but you'd still need to setup a common workgroup, enable file and printer sharing and set permissions.

:whistling: