Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

But my computer ISN'T on a network!

• Please log in to reply

Kat232

Kat232

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I upgraded from XP Home Media Center Edition to Vista Home Premium. Now it insists my computer is on a shared network (I likely clicked a stupid option when upgrading). First I was unable to use my printer until I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it as a network printer connected directly to a host computer instead of being attached to a single home computer. Annoying.

Is there some way to say I'm on a single home computer instead of a home network? Gets pretty annoying having to mess with settings.

Edited by Kat232, 22 February 2007 - 12:03 AM.

Advertisements

Kat232

Kat232

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Update: STILL having issues. I only sign onto the computer with a single username, which is the administrator. Somehow there are several sets of users (Everyone, HP_Administrator, Administrator, etc) and I can't get into certain folders such as Documents and Settings without going through all the options to allow me to share it with myself. This is reallllllly irritating now - the printer won't even work and Word says no printers are installed. Then it suggests I need a driver. I already HAVE a driver.

Yeah, Vista is not fun. Any ideas? My ideal solution would be getting my computer to just be a single home system that connects to the internet, not a network that expects other users to have any access.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I don't know if this will help you to see what you've done wrong....you may have to consult with 'Technical Support' to undo it:

http://windowshelp.m...networking.mspx

Kat232

Kat232

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I've read through that section, but all it says is how to put together a network. I don't WANT to put together a network of computers, though. Unless I'm missing something or it's in another section, it doesn't say anything about how to set up a single-computer home on the Internet without having to establish settings for a network.

See, this is the problem: I don't want to have to deal frequently with Vista telling me I can't share my own folders with myself unless I go through all the settings to allow sharing of those folders. We connected an iPod recently and suddenly Vista decided it wouldn't allow the transfer of files between the iPod and the computer. After going through folders and allowing the sharing of files with MYSELF (though apparently there are several different names for myself... bizarre), it finally worked.

I don't want a network. I don't want other computers to connect to mine. I want to always have access to my own folders and not have Vista tell me there are several usernames to navigate between when I only set up ONE. How can this be accomplished?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I understand you don't want to put together a network. What I was getting at, was....when you read through the article, did you happen to create a network accidently...like it shows? I'm sure it's possible to 'undo' what you've done wrong.

Kat232

Kat232

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Oh yes, I'm sure I clicked an option to create a network when I was setting it up late at night. It wasn't a blatantly obvious one to me in that case since I had never set up a network before. But that's the past and any intelligent operating system would have a way to undo that setting without having to reinstall EVERYTHING, although I will go back to XP and then back to Vista if that's my last option (eek).

So does anyone know how to get rid of the network and allow my computer to still access the internet? I thought I had it figured out last night, but that involved me disabling the LAN connection in Manage Network Connections and starting a Broadband Connection instead. It got rid of the bridge, but then wouldn't connect to the internet without a specific Service Provider ("Verizon" almost seemed to work) in the Properties and then it whined about not having an Ethernet connection, though an ethernet cable runs from my DSL modem to the computer.

I'm no computer genius, so please someone help me on this. I don't want to talk to another phone tech support person who pretty much tells me to go through the steps of a moron ("Is your modem ON?") or do exactly what I've already done.