Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oregon Trail 5 help...

• Please log in to reply

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I know it sounds ridiculous that I still want to play that game, but it's actually fun. Anyway, whenever i start up the game, I immediately get an error "OT5.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" and then the error report reads a problem with binkw32.dll. I saw this problem mentioned in another topic, except it doesnt apply much to my situation. I've looked throughout the whole net to find a solution. Any suggestions would help.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Have you tried to uninstall/reinstall?

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
yes, about 100000000000000 times.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
so.. obviously no one has a solution, but has anyone had a problem with binkw32.dll in general for any other game.. that might be helpful.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you know the system requirements for OT5 (...isn't that 1 or 2 versions after they moved from the 5-1/4" floppies?)

p.s.....i love the oregon trail as well...awesome game "betsie got cholera"...what the huh?

Edit: actually..i found the sys specs here i was hoping that it was a compatibility issue....it shouldn't be...sorry

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I don't think its a compatibility issue. Although, my search in google has shown that binkw32 problems occur often if other games use it, too. I have a few other games that use binkw32 also, but I haven't been able to fix anything.

gamergurl

gamergurl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Whats your graphics card? Nvidia?

Try this - let me know if it works!

This is a problem with NVIDIA's newest graphics driver. To fix the problem please roll back the driver.

To do this Right Click on my computer and click properties

Click on the Hardware Tab and press device manager

Click the plus sign next to the Display Adapter

Right Click on your Primary Display Adapter and click properties

Click the Driver Tab and then Click Roll Back Driver

This should correct the problem with Nvidia's latest updates

If you cant roll back please visit NVIDIA's website and download the 61.77 drivers and this will correct the problem

PappyDB

PappyDB

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I did not have the error binkw32 problem, but I did have the "OT5.exe has encountered a problem..."

I found a patch here

http://support.encor...m/kb.asp?id=322

I downloaded the patch, unzipped the file and folowed the simple directions. It worked perfectly for me, but I'm not sure what it's gonna do for the other games....we'll see

Windows XP SP2

Pappy

bmattoon

bmattoon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
how do you unzip the patch?????

Timothy Garcia

Timothy Garcia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
so no quick fix for the game found?