Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First the CD drives, now the mouse!

• Please log in to reply

Kalira

Kalira

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
This morning I rebooted my computer (XP Pro sp2) to discover that the system did not recognize either of my CD/DVD drives. I went online to see if others were similarly situated to find that this was not uncommon. The solution suggested was to delete the data information in the part of the local machine registry having high and low filters. I followed the instructions and rebooted as instructed. Neither keyboard nor mouse (logitech cordless optical mouse and keyboard) worked. After hours of attempted "fixes," I did a Windows XP Pro - repair.

Well, that fixed the keyboard, as you can see from this message being typed, but the mouse is still not working. The fly-over features of the mouse work (it shows the text associated with an icon) but the mouse will not move. I then tried to uninstall the mouse PS/2 from Device Manager. Yes, it has a yellow exclamation point indicating a problem. So far so good. Upon reintroducing the mouse (and keyboard) into the system, device manager once again shows the exclamation point.

Next, removed the mouse again and installed a new and different USB mouse, which the system saw as a new piece of hardware. Nevertheless, that mouse also would not function.

My fingers are wearing out from tapping the Tab key to course through the choices on every page to which I go.

It's sad, I'm sad. Please help!!!!

Kalira

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try uninstalling the mouse driver from Device Manager and rebooting. If your mouse functions on reboot and you have special software installation CD for it, install it.

Ron

Kalira

Kalira

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Try uninstalling the mouse driver from Device Manager and rebooting. If your mouse functions on reboot and you have special software installation CD for it, install it.

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I uninstalled from Device Manager and then rebooted. The system finds the mouse and shows the fly-over notations if something happens to be under the pointer, but it will not move, nor will the buttons function.