Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forgotten Password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Philip H.

Philip H.

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hello,
I got an older computer from a friend, but she can't remember the login Password on Windows Xp. There is only one user account set up.Is there anyway to reset this, or at least, be able to get into the computer?

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

You should try to log in with the default "administrator" user. It probably has no password. At the Welcome Screen, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the classic log-in shell. Type in Administrator as the user and press enter (or click OK).

Once you're logged in, go to Control Panel, User Accounts, highlight her User Name, and press Change Password (I believe).

Philip H.

Philip H.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I was able to get to the screen you were talking about, and typed in administrator, and still was unable to get onto Windows.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm very sorry you weren't successful. That's all I'm able to do for you.

It is against the ToS of GeeksToGo to help with the bypassing of anykind of password. Even though your intentions may be legit, we can't take the risk of someone else reading this topic and using the knowledge gained for purposes that are not so legit. I hope you understand. This topic is now closed.