Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

6600GT Running on PCI Bus

• Please log in to reply

bigdave

bigdave

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi guys,

As the thread's description suggests, I'm writing to ask what could cause such a graphics card that is designed to run on AGP 8x, using the AGP slot, to run using the stardard shared PCI Bus? This is an issue a friend of mine is experiencing. He's tried lots of driver sets, and a re-installation of Windows XP. I'm not quite sure what hardware he has, such as the motherboard and whatnot. He just noticed tonight, and is thinking all his PC problems (inability to play games optimally, or at all in some cases) may be related to this find.

I too run the exact same card, as we bought from the same vendor. Mine is reporting to be running at AGP 8x, and is fine. I'm having no problems.

Another problem is: When he tries to install the 9x.xx drivers, his PC won't start-up properly. He has to downgrade to one of the 8x.xx releases.

I'm replacing my card next week, and will have no problems in letting him take mine away. Question is, do you think it's the card that's faulty, or do you think it's the motherboard (or the AGP slot alone even)?

One last note: His motherboard isn't keeping time properly. It's falling short. I know this may be a battery issue, but I just thought I'd let you know before you pass any opinions or judgments.

So, graphics or motherboard? :blink: :help:

Link to graphics card: http://www.ciao.co.u..._DV128__6101631 (exactly the same model)

Thanks folks. :whistling:

Edited by bigdave, 22 February 2007 - 08:59 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This sounds like a motherboard problem. AGP is so different that it cannot possibly run on a PCI bus. Something sounds like it is shorted out on the MB. PCI bus is 33 MHz while 8X AGP is 266 MHz(8 x 33). There are other factors like DMA and onboard memory on video cards but it still should not run at the 33 MHZ speed.

The easy way to tell is to stick the video card in your computer and see how it acts. That is, unless you think the card can mess up your computer also, he-he. I've never had one do that to me yet and i have seen some strange things happen using many different cards.

SRX660

bigdave

bigdave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I may be trying out my card in his next week. We'll see how that goes. I was really looking for your opinions. It's quite odd, as you've staded.

Thanks.