Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hyperthreading Question. On or Disabled?

• Please log in to reply

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I just got my new system up and running Saturday, and the main game I play is the Sims2 and all it's expansions. On the Sims 2 web site, I read a while back that computers running hyperthreading should have this feature disabled, so while my system was being built I asked my tech (who is also my son) to disable hyperthreading - he did, but he seemed perplexed that I wanted this done.

As all the people here have been very helpful to me over the years and may know the Sims 2 games better than my son (who hates the Sims games), I now wonder if I should have hyperthreading disabled or not after all. I searched the Sims 2 web site and could not find a good answer to this, nor could I find the thread that said hyperthreading should be disabled, which I believe was there back when they just had the Base game and the University expansion. I have all the expansions and stuff packs.

Lastly - what is hyperthreading anyway? This is my first dual system and my first time with hyperthreading. I used to run an AMD Athlon 2500+. This new one is a Pentium 4- 3.0 - L2 cache 2 mb; 800 mhz FSB, with 1 gig dual channel ddr, coolmax 400 watt ps. The mobo is a gigabyte 865G, and I have 2 80gig Samsung Hds, a cd burner, DVD drive, floppy, and 7 system fans. Not counting the ps has dual fans. Edit: Oh, I also have a Nvidia Geforce (xfxforce) 7300 gt video card. My sound is onboard, and I'm running stereo Sony speakers.

Edited by Writin_Reg, 23 February 2007 - 02:54 PM.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Hyper-Threading is Intel's trademark for their implementation of the simultaneous multithreading technology on the Pentium 4. Note that you do NOT have a dual core system, though a Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading enabled is treated by the operating system as two processors instead of one.

The advantages of Hyper-Threading are improved support for multi-threaded code, allowing multiple threads to run simultaneously, improved reaction and response time, and increased number of users a server can support.

I've never heard of Hyper-Threading having a negative impact on games. Turn it on, and if you experience problems, turn it off.

Edit: This is a good animation explaining the differences between a single-core processor, one with HT, and a dual-core processor.
http://www.intel.com.../popup/demo.htm

Edited by stettybet0, 23 February 2007 - 02:56 PM.

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok, thanks I appreciate the fast response.

I just hope this system gives me far less headaches than the last one with The Sims. So far the only thing I encounted was the game going to black screen after playing 4 hours last night. I had to "gulp" do a hard shut down, but the system didn't even give me a "serious error" warning like my old one did with this game. By the way, that black screen problem apparently is very common with the Sims 2 game since their Pets EP. Lots of angry posts over at The Sims 2 tech forums.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll have my hubby put it back on when he get home, as I have no idea how to do that.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
you can easily re-enable it by restarting your computer, and getting into BIOS (look in your motherboard's manual for info on how to do this. It is usually done by pressing Del, F10, F2, or Esc as your computer boots.) Then, in the section where info on your processor is located, change Hyper-Threading from Disabled to Enabled. :whistling:

Writin_Reg

Writin_Reg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
That didn't work because the hyperthreading was shut off when my system was being installed. My husband had to turn a switch on or something like that. He used this little square of plastic and said something about a bridge - but as to giving me an intelligent explanation, he never does. I mostly get tidbits of info - but anyway he called the plastic piece a switch, and after he did that he had to use our Windows disk and do some other stuff, and he also went into the bios. All I got out of him was if the computer had been set up with hyperthreading on to start with, it would have been like you said - but seeing this is a brand new, out of the box from the manufacture system and it was shut off at install, then it was a different story.

But any way it is now on and working good.

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Personally would have the hyperthreading on. Ive NEVER heard of it doing anything bad at all and it should be just a simple matter of changing the BIOS. There isnt any special way of installing windows that it would support dual processing cores or not. and as far at that "switch" i believe you are referring to a jumper, which haven't really been used on mother boards in years. I would recommend taking the little bit of time to just turn it back on, but its really your call.