Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

r600.......NOT!

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
AMD has confirmed that R600 will be delayed yet once more. The Direct3D 10 hardware was first slated for late November or December for the holiday spending season. That date was moved to January then February and then we were told the specifications and architectural details would be made available in March. This was to coincide with CeBit in Hannover, Germany. Product was then earmarked to ship in late March.

Even this latest scenario will go by the wayside as AMD announced that "To better align our strategy with current market opportunities, we've changed the launch plan for R600. We are going to deliver a competitive configuration to market with an extremely attractive combination of performance, features and pricing, targeting a broader market segment in Q2. With the revised strategy, AMD will be better able to capitalize on the broad appeal of 3D graphics and DirectX 10, being driven in part by the growing popularity of Microsoft Windows Vista."

What this announcement means is that R600 will not be available until May. While the world keeps waiting for the flagship D3D10 hardware to compete against Nvidia's G80, we will all have to sit back and watch Nvidia gobble up market share from AMD.

http://www.tomshardw...00_back_to_may/

:whistling: anyone else frustrated about the news?
James

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Not too much not many of us would have been able to afford the first release, what they are saying is they are waiting to have A. decent stockpile and B. A full range of cards not just highends so they will all come out at the same time the low end to high end and from the roadmap the dx10 integrated laptop GPUs are also shipping at the same time now.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I believed the same earlier, but this rumor has been going on since december. How could it take 6 months to stock pile cards? I'm not confident that they have even began the production of the cards to be honest with you. I'm still going to buy the top end card whenever it releases, but it would have been nice to have a new computer in the winter and not the summer.
O well it'll be a nice B-day present, for it to be released. Can hardly wait to put CoH in my computer as it's collecting dust right now (the computer I'm on can't handle AOM at high graphics because of it having integrated graphics).
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 February 2007 - 07:51 PM.