Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blank screen

• Please log in to reply

dshortt

dshortt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried to load "Reading Readiness" for my child and it said that I needed to load Quicktime (which I already have several versions of). I told it to load and received 3 errors loading parts of quicktime. Then the screen went black. Now whenever I reboot it starts off normally and then when it is time to go to Desktop it goes black. I can get to Desktop in safe mode but I can't figure out what has been changed. I removed Quicktime and Reading Readiness but that didn't help either. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
desktop goes black....it sounds like a hardware problem, but that is just too much of a coincidence.

Reading readiness is a simple enough program as I recall, that ran in 256 color. No reason things shouldn't work even if the install went bad, assuming your monitor can handle 256 color and 800 by 600...which all but the strangest LCDs would.

This is flat panel or CRT monitor?

Here is what I would try first.

In safe mode, go to device manager (right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose DEVICE MANAGER....)

expand display adapter then remove your display adapter

You could also remove the monitor.

Reboot.

Windows will redetect and reload the drivers ... at worst, it will load default drivers, and then you can download new drivers for your paritcular device,