Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP IIIP Printer on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

acc

acc

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am trying to print in Win XP with an HP IIIP printer that prints fine in Win 98 SE. I have installed the Win XP HP IIIP drivers. When I first booted Win XP it said it could see a USB printer cable. The port is set to USB and when I send a document to the printer the printer's lights come on like it is going to print but it does not. The cable I am using to connect to the printer is USB to DB 25F. That connects to an ABC box. The only thing different with this config and Win 98 SE config (which works) is the USB to DB 25F cable and that this is on Win XP. On Win 98 I connect from a DB25 F (on the computer) to the ABC box. I have used Win XP printer troubleshooter and this fails all the tests. The Win XP computer is a different computer from the Win 98 computer.

Would changing the printer processor under the option make a difference? It is set on the default setting for this driver but there are many other options. There does not seem to be too many settings to toggle.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Edited by acc, 24 February 2007 - 08:03 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some older printers just don't work under XP.

In fact if you Google this issue, you get dozens of posts on other forums saying they all have issues with this printer under XP, from it printing blank pages betweeen other pages, or not printing at all.

acc

acc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your response. Before posting this yesterday, I too googled this and I was suprised at how few postings were there. I assumed the reduced amount of postings to indicate that perhaps there were not that many people still using this printer and that there is not a systemic problem with using this printer on XP. This gave me hope that someone had a fix for this. Like you I saw where several people had problems with the printer using blank sheets between the pages. I read several postings where the printer worked fine after they installed the XP drivers from XP for the printer. I am thinking of investing in another cable and connecting USB to Centronics. What do you think?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The best setup is a straight through connection as opposed to going through adaptors. The more complicated you set things up as, the harder it becomes to find where the errors are later on. Its entirely possible that as you've using an entirely different cable on the XP side of things that this was the issue all along.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-acc [HP-IIIPPrinter-USB Port]-25th FEB-2007

I guess this is a Laptop – Where you do not have a Parallel Printer Port –

1st – Have you tried connecting directly to the Printer – Minus the ABC Switch – It could be a cabling issue – where communication thru the Switch – is lost?? Remember this is an old Parallel Printer – And you are using a Serial to Parallel Converter to communicate – The switch may not be – Transparent – to the USB Virtual Parallel Port – You are using a – USB Client Class Driver – that may not or can not see the printer thru the switch – Programmer Issue?? – It may not recognize the Parallel Port Configuration??
Anyway just try a straight/naked connection – 1st

2nd - Just a quickie item that I just recently was shown – May not apply to you – it is worth looking at – It depends if you have the DEP – Data Execution Prevention – Option on the – Advanced Tab – in the – Printers Property Folder – See link below for info – [Some retail installed XP will not apply] -

DEP – Data Execution Prevention for Windows 2000 XP – Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

Do the one of the following – if applies -

OPTION 1. – [For Home Users]
Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
Select the Advanced tab
Under Performance select Settings
Select Data Execution Prevention tab
Select "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only."

Reboot and it should work. Worked for me anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OPTION 2. [For IT Professionals with network]

1. Right-click on My Computer, and select Properties.
2. Click on the Advanced tab.
3. Under Performance, click Settings.
4. Click the Data Execution Prevention tab.
5. Select the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select: option.
6. Click Add....
7. Browse to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpzeng07.exe and click Open.
8. Click Apply.
9. Click OK, and OK again.

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 25 February 2007 - 01:24 PM.