Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So is Vista worth it?

• Please log in to reply

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I just bought a new laptop about 2 months ago. It has: T2050 1.60 ghz duo core processor, with 1GB ram, 120 GB HDD, DVD drive, and a ATI Radeon X1300-128mb (OS-XP Home). It definitely meets the minimum reqs. for Vista premium, but is it enough for it to run smoothly, and not slowly? The vista upgrade advisor program keeps recommending Vista Basic. Also, I've been reading a lot and a lot of terrible reviews about the instability of the OS and the incompatibility it has with many programs and hardware. So should I just wait a couple of months or years for the Vista to become more stable, or get it now? I've been thinking about getting it, but now I'm not too sure. So do any of you guys that have used it think its worth getting now, especially with my computer specs??

P.S Also, is it true that you can only "physically" install one Vista per computer?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Um yes you can only install one serial code per computer, it's legally bound just like every other windows OS. With your requirements I recommend basic, premium will run slower on your hardware, i wouldn't run it with less then 2GB of ram, or so thats what I hear for many others. The operating system has just been released, give it time. In the coming months it'll be more widely supported by hardware and software alike as well as it'll become more and more stable, but I don't think stability is that much of an issue.
James

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Vista is VERY stable, just a lot of software doesn't quite work with it well yet. Also, drivers for Vista are still being 'tweaked' so to speak to make them work best with Vista. I would wait about a half year and then re-think the idea of getting Vista.

Fenor

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your specs look good enough for the premium vista more than enough i dont know where the 2Gb number is coming from it runs very easily on just one Gb of memory so you are fine, drivers wise there is problems the biggest are the gfx but you are using an ATI solution and their drivers are good. Only problem you culd conceivably have is your wireless might not have vista drivers but alot of companies do have them now.

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Right, and when I ran the upgrade advisor, they listed a number of programs and hardware that was incompatible with vista. But I guess, by now they might have an update. And I'm just hoping that it would run smoothly on my 1GB, but if not I can just upgrade that easily. Thanks a lot.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
1GB is fine unless you wanna play BF2 then your gonna need alot more RAM as BF2 likes lots of RAM i tryed running games on Vista and i got like 40 fps lower than on XP but its alot more stable i have installed RC2 onto my laptop a few weeks ago now and it seems fast and stable and there will have been some updates since then. Its alot of money though!

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
but do u have any problems with compatibility issues when u run vista?

Edited by Compnoobie, 26 February 2007 - 12:32 PM.