Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Problems

• Please log in to reply

Formless

Formless

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been running my laptop for a good month or two now with no issues what-so-ever. Today, after reading Maximum PC, I decided to install one of the applications they included this month. It is called Serious Samurize 1.62.4 - At the end of the setup utility, you are asked to reboot. I did so and when starting up my wallpaper showed up, but within seconds it turned to a solid color and had the 'picture file identifier' icon in the top left of the screen (the box with the three shapes in it).

What happened? How can I fix this?

I tried uninstalling the program and no soap - So I reinstalled and looked to see if there was an option anywhere that might be causing this. I guess there is no guarantee that the problem is this program; but I have no idea what to do.
Changing the wallpaper and/or desktop theme did nothing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-William

(PS- This one might be an easier question to answer. I Previously used TweakXP to install a bootscreen. Ever since, my computer has asked me which screen to use; the Win XP screen or the one I installed. I used tweakxp to remove the bootscreen, and then uninstalled it. The computer still asks me which screen to use. Any idea how to get it back to the normal boot cycle?)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's never a good idea to install a utility which interferes with XP's boot files as TweakXP does, unless you are experienced enough to handle any problems. You might try 'System Restore' if the restore points available go back far enough to a time before TweakXP was installed.

Formless

Formless

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright, If I cannot fix the bootscreen issue I can live with that.

What can I do about my desktop?
If it helps; I tried to add a web page to my desktop last night to see it that would be okay for the time being. It showed the site w/ text and all the pictures were blank with that box in the corner.