Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

display properties

• Please log in to reply

mursy

mursy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

My daughter just had a new hard drive installed on her ibm computer.

She reinstalled the windows me operating system.

Before the hard drive went down there was a new ibm monitor put on the system.

While reinstalling the windows me the new hardware wizard said it found a new plug and play monitor and she put in the disk for that and thought she had the wizard install it.

All seemed well when the recovery was over except when she went into display properties to set her screen saver and desktop she found that in the advanced color settings there were no reds or other shades showing at all.

On the background tab it shows the model number of the monitor but the color pallet only shows color from a light tan to a purple, no reds or other shades.

If you could tell me what would cause this problem and how i can work around it i would appreciate it.

Thankyou

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mursy...

Have you installed the drivers for the graphics adapter? They would be located either on the driver cd that came with the computer or as a download from the IBM website.

wannabe1

mursy

mursy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I had her put the disk for the monitor back in and install the driver.

There still is no change on the color pallet in displayproperties.

Could it be that the video card is not working properly, or is there anything else that i can try

Thanks for your quick reply

Mursy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It wasn't the monitor software I was referring to, but rather the video adapter. What is the model number of the machine...I'll try to round up the correct driver for you.

mursy

mursy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you i would appreciate that.

The computer is a netvista - 2284-45U

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I need just one more bit of information...it would appear that IBM put VIA chipsets in some of their 2284's and ATI chips in others. Do you know which you have? It may be shown in Device Manager. Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click the "Device Manager" tab and expand (click the +) Display Adapters. The adapter may well be listed with a yellow ! or ? next to it.

Does it tell you which you have?

mursy

mursy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I had my daughter look in the devise manager, there are no yellow ! or ? listed beside the display adapter.

I am sorry to say it also does not tell me if it is VIA or ATI, is there anywhere else that it may state that info?

The only other thing i can tell you is that the computer is A40i series.

One thing i did try from the ibm site the other day was to download and install the VIA chipset INF installation utility.

I open the program and it installed but then it went blue screen on me, I rebooted the system and everything seemed ok, that scared me enough to make me quit, lol.
Don't know if that info will help you or not

Mursy

mursy

mursy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I have read and tried everything i can think of.

I cannot find an answer

I wonder if it is a driver when devise manager says it is working fine, i am at a loss.

If you have any other thoughts please advise

Thank you, Mursy

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can download a program called SIW to find out what video device is used.

http://www.gtopala.com/download.html

SRX660

mursy

mursy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I had my daughter run a scan of her drivers

On display all it said was S3 savage 4.

On system devises it said VIA CPU 2 AGP controler

Does this help?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Here is the drivers download site for the S3 Savage chipsets. Note that if the graphics driver is on-board( built into the motherboard) you need to look into the legacy drivers.

http://www.s3graphic...ivers/index.jsp

You will notice that there is a WinS3ID.exe file there to identify your exact chipset so you can download the correct drivers. Once you have downloaded the correct drivers you need to go into device manager and delete the video drivers you already have and then install the new drivers. Then reboot the computer for the new drivers to take effect.

The VIA controllers are for the motherboard. Unless you are having a problem with them just leave them alone. I do not think you have a problem there.

SRX660

mursy

mursy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thank you for your help

Mursy