Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer error 1719, subinacl

• Please log in to reply

Finsch

Finsch

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
edit 03/13/07: Original Post look below

Problem:
Windows Installer does not work, error 1917: Windows Installer not available

Tried so far:
1. Did everything Whiskeyman asked for
2. Everything under http://support.micro...kb/315346/en-us
3. Reset all rights with subinacl, see post #6, tried to reinstall Windows Installer, seems to fail

The Problem persists!
A reinstallation of Windows Installer seems to fail, see log files in my fourth post, sixth post in total in this thread.

Please help me, I really don't know what to do to install and uninstall programs that make use of the Windows Installer

original post:

Hello everyone

Since some time i am not able to install or unsintall products based on the "Windows Installer". The error is 1719, the windows installer could not be accessed.
After unregistering, reregistering the installer with
msiexec /unregister
msiexec /regserver
both in standard and in safe mode, after renaming and reinstalling the whole thing, i found that nothing works. The problem presists.

Then I noticed that I can only do this procedure with my standard account that DOES HAVE administrator rights. When I log in as admin in safe mode, the procedure fails. So I think my persmissions are messed up, and I want to correct this with subinacl as described in
http://blogs.msdn.co.../04/739820.aspx
for example. Now the thing is, I do not have subinacl. And when I download it, I get subinacl.msi, which I can not install sice the Windows Installer is not working. And I cant fix the Windows Installer since subinacl can not be installed. (edit: got subinacl installed by now)

My problem is pretty much explained in
http://de.wikipedia....erungsdatenbank
, unfortunately in german. It is fixed by installing subinacl by using an old version of msiexec. Unfortunately I do not have such an old version.

What can I do?
I am trying for hours and I am really desperate now.

Edited by Finsch, 13 March 2007 - 05:39 AM.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
RRead the following instructions from Microsoft.

"Error 1719: The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to add or remove a program

Finsch

Finsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I already did all of that.
Registering the regserver only works on my standard account, but NOT on the administrator account.

When logged in as admin in safe mode, i get the error message (german WinXP version:)
"Windows Installer: Ein Ereignis konnte keinen Abonnenten aufrufen"
I think I found the english expression for this error, it's
"An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers"

I think permissions are not set correctly, preventing the Windows Installer from doing its work.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Go to Start > Run and type services.msc then hit <Enter>. Scroll down to the Windows Installer service and double click on it. Make sure it is set to Manual.

Finsch

Finsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you, done that.
But it is already set to manual.

Finsch

Finsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello again

My problem still persists, unfortunately. My windows seems pretty wrecked at the moment, as I can not install or uninstall any program that requires the Windows Installer.

I did some more things in the mean time.

1) I reinstalled the Windows Installer in the latest version with the call
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe /passive /norestart /log:c:\msifile.log
in Normal Mode (not safe mode), under my normal login. The log file is attached to this post and called "msifile.log.txt". To me as a beginner it looks as if the installation fails

2) I installed subinacl.msi on another PC, copied the executable on this PC and ran

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

to make sure that installation does not fail because the system does have missing rights.

3) I repeated the installation of the Windows Installer under the same circumstances with
WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe /passive /norestart /log:c:\msifile2.log
The log file is attached again as "msilogfile2.log.txt".
It looks like installation failed again.

Conclusion:
The Windows Installer still does not work. I have a subinacl available now in case the access rights must be reset. I really need some more help, please

Attached Files

Finsch

Finsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Please help

sorry for the bump.