Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear WG111T wireless adapter crashes computer

• Please log in to reply

sivart13

sivart13

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, first post and I know this is the right place to do it!

After the purchase of a new computer, my old one was re-located to another room where a wireless connection is necessary. Unfortunately, there seems to be a conflict that is causing it to crash whenever I access the internet.

Set up:
- Dell Dimension 8100 running Windows ME
- Using Netgear WG111T USB adapter with Linksys WRT54G router
- Have Trend Micro PC-cillin internet security 2006 antivirus
- PNY nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphic/video card

After varying times of surfing the web, the computer either 1) blue screens (hit enter to return, ctrl+alt+delete to restart) or just freezes up completely and I have to reboot. Occassionly hitting enter at the blue screen will bring me back to the web to keep going for a few more minutes, but mainly it is also in a locked up situation.

My guess is there is some hardware/software conflict. I'm connected and I don't lose the connection - I think the adapter is installed correctly and is running correctly.

2 years ago I used the adapter and it worked fine for a temporary situation. Then I went back to the wired world. Now, I'm back and the only two things I think have changed are the Video card (my stock card went out) and I updated the Trend internet security software. Turning the antivirus off doesn't seem to help either.

I also have to disable the other network adapters in the Device Managers of the Systems Properties in order to get the NetGear adapter to work (3Com, Dial-up, Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter). I did this 2 years ago as well - again, with no issues.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this? Could it be the video card..how would that be fixed? I appreciate any and all help.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I think its the adapter itself.

Try removing it and let the pc run for awhile. Do any blue screens come up?

sivart13

sivart13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the response. But I'm not sure that's it. The computer seems to work fine for everything else....microsoft word for homework, excel, printing, scan disc, etc. All of those being used while the USB adapter is plugged in and connected. Only when I open up Internet Explorer do the problems occur. And I can surf for a bit fine, then all the sudden - blue screen or complete freeze.

Unfortunately there are no updates for the adapter for ME.

I'm thinking there is someting in the adapter that creates issues when the internet is active - not just connected but when there is downloading going on, etc. - almost like there is an overload or something.

The other thing that still puzzles me is 2 years ago virtually the same set up worked perfectly fine. The only significant change is my video card.

Do you think there is something I can do to straighten this out or am I stuck with buying another adapter (maybe a PCI card instead)?

Thanks again.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well most likely the card is causing the blue screen because when you load up the internet. Do you have the 1.2 drivers?

sivart13

sivart13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, the 1.2 drivers were the only ones for Windows ME. The install cd didn't support ME, but I was able to get them off the Netgear website. I've tried uninstalling the adapter and reinstalling but same issues.

I've also tried plugging the adapter directly into the usb port as well as via the extended usb cable that came with it.

I read somewhere these types of usb adapters can heat up quickly and cause issues - any truth to that?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
That could be possible.

Could you take a picture so I can see what the BSOD says?
Windows ME also has its share of bugs.

sivart13

sivart13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Will do as soon as I can. thanks again.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Thanks.

Windows ME isn't my favorite either, but I'll see what I can do for you when the picture comes up :whistling:

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 01 March 2007 - 10:07 PM.

sivart13

sivart13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was finally able to get back to this. Here's a picture of the BSOD. My son used the computer error free for about an hour prior to this...using Microsoft Word only. When he was done, I opened up Internet Explorer and within a few minutes, boom!

Does this given any insight into the problem?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• BSOD.jpg