Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Taskbar stuck in Classic appearance

• Please log in to reply

Riptide

Riptide

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
A long time ago (months, I don't even remember when) I changed my theme to classic intentionally. Now however, I'm tired of looking at it and I want the XP theme back. The only problem is that there is no option to select the Window's XP theme and I have no idea where to look if I have to browse for it.

I've run Adaware and I've removed some Tracking Cookies if that helps. Also, Everything should be up to date.

Advertisements

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

Doomed_to_a_pathetic_computer

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Alright, you right click the desktop and go to "Properties" Then go to the "Appearance" tab. Go to the drop down menu "Windows and buttons:" And you should see two options, "Windows Classic Style" and "Windows XP Style." I think you can figure the rest out from there.

Riptide

Riptide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I apologize that I didn't make this clear in my first post. I have gone there already, and the option for the XP theme is no where at all in the dropdown menu. It only says:

My Current Theme
Windows Classic
Find more themes online
Browse..

EDIT:

Okay, the drop down menu in appearances only states "Windows Classic". (Sorry, the first was the theme tab, but the problem remains. )

Edited by Riptide, 25 February 2007 - 05:40 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Riptide...

Download the attached file and save it to your desktop. Right click the downloaded file and choose "Extract All". Extract the files to C:\Windows\Resources and let it overwrite any of the existing files if you are so prompted.

Reboot and see if the XP Theme has returned.

Attached File  Themes.zip   787.13KB   314 downloads

wannabe1

Riptide

Riptide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I followed your instructions, and Windows XP dosen't appear automatticaly in the drop down list. I can Browse for it, but when I select it it says:

"The theme cannot be loaded because the theme service is not running. You can turn the service on in the Computer Management Administrative Tool in the Control Panel."

I cannot seem to find this though. And, the computer never asked to rewrite any files.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok". In the Services window, scroll down to and select "Themes"...is the service shown as "Started"?

Riptide

Riptide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Anyway, Themes is not 'Started'. And It's start up type is 'Disabled' incase you needed to know.
Also, when I right click, the Start option is non selectible. However, I could possibly change the startup type in properties.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Double click on the Themes service. Change the startup type to Automatic, then click on the "Start" button, and "Apply" the change.

Are you able to start the service this way?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just an add on :whistling: : Try using services.msc by typing it in Start/Run window. These will be in alphabetical order so scroll down to Themes. The left pane window will show "Stop the service" or "Restart the service" along with the description of the service.

Ron

Riptide

Riptide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yeah, setting it to automatic allowed me to start the service! Thank you very much for your help.

I still wonder how it was turned off in the first place though.. I guess the world will never know.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Lots of malware (spyware & viruses) can cause windows to be forced into the classic theme. It would probably be a smart idea to take a walk over to the Malware Forum and run the self-help tools to see if they find anything. If they do, then post a HJT log in THAT forum.

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I concur.

There are some older applications that will disable the Themes service when they are run in compatibility mode. This is pretty rare though...I would rather suspect malware.