Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Help

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well in our house we have 3 pcs. One of the computers is connected to a Belkin 802.11 G router. The 2 other pcs have 802.11 G wireless network cards. We also have 3 wireless telephones in the house. Two run at 2.4 Ghz, and the other runs at 5.8 GHz. The 2.4 GHz phone is connected to our house line, and the 5.8 GHz is connected to our fax/extra phone line. Now every time the house line rings (2.4 GHz) both of the computers with wireless network cards loose the network. Now once the call is hung up, you can reconnect to the network. How can I fix this besides getting two new phones for the house line? :whistling:

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Have you tried changing the channel the router or phones use? Sadly, 2.4 GHz phones have this problem. Only an 802.11 2.4 GHz phone will work in harmony with your network. Do you know how to change the channel for the router? If not, then please supply me with the exact model number for your Belkin router, and I'll make you some detailed instructions.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I have tried changing the channel before, but everytime I do. I am unable to reconnect to the network on bith computers.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Does Belkin have its own software for the adapter? If so, then you will need to change (1) The outgoing channel on the router and (2) The receiving channel on the adapter.

For example, on my router, it's on channel 11.

I can select which channel to search for networks with using Netgear's software for the adapter.

I'm thinking you need to do the same with your Belkin software, on the computers attempting to connect.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well on one of the computers, I have a Belkin card, and on the other, its a Linksys card. They each have their own software but i don't know ho to use it. :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, can you reference some help/how-to documents to find out? Depending on your software version, it may be different... I'm pretty sure that you just aren't accessing the right channel...

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
So your bascily saying that if I find the right channel, my phone should stop interupting my internet?!?!?! :whistling:

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
That would be correct. The phones would be on their own channel, and the internet on its own. They shouldn't cross. It's just a matter of changing the channel which your adapters are listening on.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I will cal Belkin either tonight or tomorow night. And so far thanks for your help!!! And now that I am a thinking, every since Belkin told me to switch to channel 1; the switching has been happening.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I figured it would be the channel, and hopefully that will solve it for you. You don't have any documentation that you can reference about switching channels at all?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
No documentation, but I am for sure calling Belkin tonight.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Good luck and keep in touch :whistling:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well I finnaly was able to call. I succesfully changed the channel, and now I am recieving no problems at all!! :whistling:
Thank you for your help!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
You are most welcome! :whistling: