Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Semi-Random Frame rate drop?!

• Please log in to reply

Crater

Crater

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Howdy,
Every time I play a game now my computer randomly starts lagging, the frame rate drops to almost nothing and it makes the game almost unplayable.. Very annoying.. It lasts for about 10-20 seconds and then goes back to normal, then does it again, and so on so forth. It didn't use to do this and I can't exactly remember when it started, I do know that there were no hardware changes though. It happens on every game and its completely random as to when it starts (not like at a cutscene or anything, I could be staring at a wall..) If anyone knows what this is that'd be great. I'm only assuming its a hardware problem too. So if it's not sorry for the mis-post..

Currently Running:
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 3.20GHz, ~3.2GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Video: Radeon X1600 Series, 512mb AGP (Driver: ati2dvag.dll)
Windows 2000
Sound: Creative SB Live!

If you need anything else lemme know.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
What wattage is your Power Supply?

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
It's a 420w ATX12V power supply.

Soulja

Soulja

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm no PC expert, but if you have Fraps on your PC, make sure it is off!! I play FPS games and had a similar issue with my PC. I'd be playing and then BAM! My FPS dropped fast. Turns out my video capture button was binded to the same key as my grenade toss and every time I threw a grenade Fraps would try to capture video.

Probably not the cause of your problem but sometimes we overlook the smallest things, so I thought I'd throw it out there!

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hehe thanks, I do have FRAPS installed but it is definately off =D.

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hey, I dont mean to be rude and bump the topic but it's been alive a while and I still have the problem. Thanks =D

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Sorry to bump again.. Its been like.. a long time.

Crater

Crater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Well guys Sorry to put this back up but I thought it should be referencable. My problem seems to have been my power supply. The 4 prong plug that goes into the motherboard was getting too hot somehow, and ended up catching fire (lol) and melting. I replaced the power supply and cleaned up that spot really really well and made a custom fitting for it and plugged it back in and now everything works dandy fine =D. Wish someone coulda helped me haha woulda saved some time.