Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP pro upgrade problem....I think

• Please log in to reply

jeeplette

jeeplette

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I am not entirely sure if this is the right forum to post to so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction if it is not. Geeks to go has been my life saver on various other occasions so here I am again... :blink:

I don't know where to start as I changed a couple of things around the same time. I will post as much info as I can to start...

My computer is getting up in age and was home built a while back.

I recently upgraded (using an upgrade version of XP pro) from a pirated copy of XP pro to a legitimate copy. I also added a Logitec wireless keyboard/mouse, Panda Antivirus and a Dell 17" flat panel monitor (model 1702FP)--given to me by a friend. Here are the problems I am having....
  • I tried to play Neverwinter Nights 1 online after installing all of those things (it worked perfectly before) and my ping was SUPER high (around 800-1000) when it is normally on the lower end (around 125). So I tried to reinstall my graphics card driver by downloading it online (since I do not have the disk handy). When I tried to install it, it said something along the lines of "try installing the VGA standard adapter" (for the monitor I think) for the install (of the video card) to work properly. I hope this is sort of making sense as I did not write it down. :whistling:
  • When I get on a webpage and use the scroll button on my wireless mouse, it is very choppy or sometimes won't scroll at all.
  • My whole whole computer seems to be running REALLY slow compared to how it was before adding those things.
Here's a bit of info on parts:
  • Motherboard - P4X266A
  • Intel P4 1.62 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
  • XP PRO SP2
  • HDD - Maxtor 6Y120PO
  • HDD - Maxtor 6Y250PO
  • Network Adapter - Netgear FA311 Adapter #2
  • ATI - Radeon 9600 PRO 128M
  • Dell 1702FP 17" Flat Panel Monitor
Also, under the Default Monitor & Properties section it says:
all the adapter info (chip type, DAC type, memory size, adapter string & bios information) says <unavailable>.

Hopefully this will make sense to someone....please let me know if any other info is required and thanks so much in advance....

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Choppy scrolling is a sign of bad video drivers, if I recall. Do you know what video card is in your computer? This looks like what your PC was asking for:

http://www.versiontr...einfo/win/38001

Try and install that, and then try to install the drivers.

Post back.

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 26 February 2007 - 02:32 PM.

jeeplette

jeeplette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for replying, Super!

My video card is ATI Radeon 9600 PRO 128M.

I went to the website in the link and clicked on download. When I did that, it took me to the Microsoft page to update windows. My windows is totally updated (but I tried updating again) and then I restarted. Then tried to install the graphics driver again (catalayst from ATI website). I got the same error box...this time I wrote it down word for word:

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

Another side question to add....I also have a spare ATI Radeon X1300 256M (VisionTek)...would that video card be a better choice?

Thanks again! :whistling:

Edited by jeeplette, 26 February 2007 - 04:43 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you try clicking on the Custom button at the Micro$oft Update site? It will give you more of a list of what is needed in the left column besides any Critical Updates.

Pardon my interjection. :whistling:

Ron

jeeplette

jeeplette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for the reply, Ron. I tried the custom updates from Microsoft and none of those included anything for the VGA standard driver (but I installed them all just in case). :whistling:

Any other ideas? I am also doing an online search for the driver while I await an answer....thanks so much guys!

Edited by jeeplette, 27 February 2007 - 04:33 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Another side question to add....I also have a spare ATI Radeon X1300 256M (VisionTek)...would that video card be a better choice?

Thanks again! :whistling:

Might even try installing this card in your PC and see if Windows will at least pick it up as new hardware and install M$'s standard driver. Then you can see if you can get the driver online and put it in a folder so you can install the correct one. Usually when installing new drivers from Device manager you will be asked to find the path for it unless there is an executable program to do it for you.

Ron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jeeplette...

Look in the BIOS Setup for a setting to use the PCI or AGP (whichever you're using) card initially. Right now it's rejecting the drivers because it's loading the onboard video first...you need it to load the PCI/AGP card first. It may be under the headings Peripherals or Onboard Peripherals.

wannabe1

jeeplette

jeeplette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok....it seems that my problem is solved. :whistling: I took my boyfriend's old video card (ATI Radeon X1300) and installed it (better than the one I have not had the heart to get rid of until today) and installed the driver (after changing my BIOS to PCI--since that's what the newer card is). My computer appears to work perfectly again! Yippee!!

Thank you all so very much and thanks for being my life saver again!! :help:

BTW...I tell everyone I know that this is the greatest site ever! :blink:

--Jeeplette :help:

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I've looked on the ATi site, and found the most recent drivers for your X1300. These drivers will ensure you have no problems with you card. You can download them here:

http://ati.amd.com/s...radeonx-xp.html

NOTE: Click to download catalyst software suite :whistling:

Edited by SuperSam, 28 February 2007 - 09:27 AM.