Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

getting kicked off internet

• Please log in to reply

marknf316

marknf316

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I am currently using a linksys router, with a dsl connection. about half of the time the phone rings, I am kicked off the internet on the wireless laptop, and can not reconnect. any suggestions? the phone is at 5.8 ghz, and the router is at 2.4

Thanks

Edited by marknf316, 25 February 2007 - 08:04 PM.

Advertisements

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Since you have a DSL Connection, have you installed a DSL filter on all connections that plug into a phone? Also, just making sure, you have no DSL filter connected to your modem correct?

How long have you been having the problem for?

Is this a new router that you got?

Have you tried power cycling both the modem and the router?

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
yes, I have filters for all of the phones, and the modem connects to the phone jack through a filter, but it plugs into the filter through a designated modem jack. I just switched to a wireless router a few days ago and like I said, it happens about every other time the phone is in use. I have tried resetting the router and modem a few times. Should I plug the modem directly into the phone jack, or continue using the filter? Because previously I had a wired router plugged into the filter and it worked just fine.

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
The modem shouldn't be connected to any filters at all. The modem should connect directly to the phone jack. After that the Ethernet cable should be direct from the router to the modem.

Try doing that and see if you are still having a problem or not.

marknf316

marknf316

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
so far so good, thanks alot

Logic_Overflow

Logic_Overflow

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Anytime. Glad to hear all is well.