Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor

• Please log in to reply

Area 51

Area 51

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I have a computer that has a Celeron processor, I would like to know how to change it to let's say a Pentium 4. Is it a simple or complex job?

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
depends on the board, if its a newer celeron. also you will need to know what fsb your board supports, socket, several other things. otherwise, the physical part of changing it is rather easy.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You really need to get that information from either the board maker or if it's a name brand computer the machine maker. Usually it will be in the manual which is most of the time a PDF. The actual change is usually pretty simple but knowing what processor works is more complicated.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Download CPU-Z (here: http://www.cpuid.com.../cpu-z-139.zip) < that's a direct link to the .zip.

Upon running it (I'd give you step by step but I have some problems with my computer which doesn't allow me to run it).

It's pretty straight forward, but just choose to make a .htm dump and upload it as an attachment with your next post. From there we can help you find out what possible upgrade P4s your PC can take.