Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen turns black after xp loading

• Please log in to reply

chrischang127

chrischang127

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,
This has just started quite recently, whenever i turn on my computer it will start normally, but right after the xp loading screen, instead of showing the different user accounts the screen turns black. The Light on my monitor is still green, but the lights on my mouse turn off. My monitor is plugged into my computer through a dvi cable, and i have checked that its not loose on both ends. My graphics card/ram seem to be seated correctly, and the fan on my graphics card spins.

The first time this happened even though i kept restarting my computer took me to the loading screen but it looked like it was in safe mode (but not), my background was still there, just everything was Huge, and the colors were all washed out and pixelated. The computer wouldnt let me turn my resolution or color up. I reinstalled the drivers and the problem stopped, but the screen turning black still happens now.
Is this a hardware problem? Could it be a virus?
thanks in advance
-Chris

Edited by chrischang127, 25 February 2007 - 09:16 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If possible, use a VGA cable in place of the DVI one, just to help rule out the DVI as being the cause. If same happens with VGA, try another graphics card if you can borrow one. It's either hardware or driver related. I don't think it's a virus. You might also want to try booting in safe mode several times before doing any of that. If Windows loads OK everytime in safe mode (except the resolution will be way too low of course) it must be a driver problem.

Edited by pip22, 26 February 2007 - 01:20 AM.

chrischang127

chrischang127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok thanks i will try those ideas out and get back to you as soon as possible
thanks.

chrischang127

chrischang127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've tried using the VGA cable and the same problem happens, so i guess its not the DVI cable.
I will try booting in safemode next time i turn on my computer.
An interesting thing i found was that if i repeatedly unplugged and replugged my usb mouse during the xp loading screen then usually the login menu will appear. -_- kidna weird. This works about 90% of the time.

chrischang127

chrischang127

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hmm i have been unable to get another graphics card, but everytime i loaded in safe mode it worked fine. I have the latest drivers for my video card (from the ati website). Are there any others i should get?

Edited by chrischang127, 03 March 2007 - 04:05 PM.