Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows boot problem

• Please log in to reply

quintessence

quintessence

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm running Windows XP Professional on Dell Inspiron 8600. My computer crashed at some point in time (I was actually out of the room at the time, and came back to see the blue screen of death). Upon restarting Windows, I come to an error screen saying "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." I have options to:

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally.

If I choose Safe Mode, a list of files appears, and then it crashes and reboots automatically. Choosing Last Known Good Configuration or Start Windows Normally leads to the regular Windows XP startup screen, and then before the login screen is displayed a blue screen flashes up very quickly (I can't read the error message I assume the screen is showing) and my computer reboots fro scratch.

I have tried a number of Recovery Console fixes, like fixboot and reloading the startup files, but nothing has changed. I also tried to do a Repair Install of Windows, by going through Setup instead of the Recovery Console, but when I get to the screen that is supposed to dispay the windows installations, giving me the option to repair an installation, all I get is a partition, displaying the available space, and the option to install Windows fresh.

What can I do to get Windows starting correctly, or at least to enable me to do a repair installation? Thanks.

Edited by quintessence, 26 February 2007 - 02:20 PM.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Here is our own tutorial guide on how to run a repair installation.

Click Here