Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error with .dll files

• Please log in to reply

jbarkman

jbarkman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
For the past three or four days, I've been unable to open anything to do with Windows Explorer (My Docs, My Comp, Control Panel etc).
It always comes up with 'Explorer has experienced an error in *.dll. Explorer will now close. If you keep experiencing this problem, please try restarting your computer'. (Where * has been SHELL32.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL, DDHELP.DLL, SHLWAPI.DLL, MSHTML.DLL, <unknown> and others.)

I've restarted several times, retraced my steps and uninstalled any and all programs installed before it all went to buggery (only new program installed was Norton 2005). I've run ScanDisc and Norton (both from hard drive and from disc).
I've attempted to start my comp up in Safe Mode, but it doesn't respond.I've bought RegistryFix, and while that allowed me access to Explorer for approx. 12 hours, it isn't working yet again.

After running Norton, it tells me that I have two 'at risk' files, but delete always fails, and when I do a search for the files and try to delete them outside of Norton, they can't be found.

The files are xrpnqccm.exe and WebP2PInstaller.dll

If anyone can help with removing these files and getting Explorer to respond again, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
Jessika

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum, follow the instructions at the top, and then post a hijackthis log if still necessary

jbarkman

jbarkman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, thank you. I wasn't sure if I should post to the malware or opsys section. :)
I'll go do that now.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
randomly generated/named DLL files are always a bad sign of infestation. That along with your other problems leads me to believe you are infected with a transponder spyware program

jbarkman

jbarkman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh, that doesn't sound good. I'm going through the checklist in the malware section right now. Hopefully it all works out.

In regards to the randomly named .dll files, my boss (this is my work computer) has recognised some of the names, and I thought, as did she, that they were genuine .dll's that came with the system.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'm not saying all of your DLLs are bad, I am saying that ranomly, non pattern following names CAN be a problem

For example, this file xrpnqccm.exe when located in your windows directory make me pause. It needs checking.

This file WebP2PInstaller.dll is part of kazaa, which means you are using p2p which means you are a good candidate for spyware investation.

That's why I suggested going to the malware forum, where someone who works with these daily can take a look.