Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp wont boot

• Please log in to reply

Stephen9182

Stephen9182

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I deleted some files from a virus and now it wont boot up fully. It acts as if it will startup but hangs at the user logon screen. I also cant boot in safemode. How do i go about doing the repair install or system recovery so that i dont lose data??

On the windows cd i have that came with my laptop(toshiba) i get 2 options when i boot up.
1. Recover entire hard disk: (warning) all stored data on your computer will be lost. Factory pre-installed software will be installed.

2. Expert recovery mode: (warning) this is for PC experts only. Factory pre-installed software can be installed onto an existing(bootable) partition.

What can i do to try and get windows to load up without losing data??

thanks

Edited by Stephen9182, 27 February 2007 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Copy your own files (all of which should be in 'My Documents') to another partition or to CD-R/DVD-R, then use the "Recover Entire Hard Disk" option from the recovery discs.

Side Note: Don't leave backing up your files until something goes wrong. Backing up is something you should do routinely. Imagine if your hard disk died or Windows was so badly corrupted that it won't start -- how would you able to recue your files then?

Stephen9182

Stephen9182

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I cant get into windows to backup the files. Is there anyway i can hook the laptop/harddrive to another computer to get the files?? I would know how to slave it if it wasnt a laptop but i have no idea if theres any way you can do this with a laptop harddrive. please let me know,thanks

edhalfdead

edhalfdead

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
There are plenty of laptop(2.5) to desktop(3.5) adapters on ebay for just a couple of dollars.