Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Win98SE over Win 98

• Please log in to reply

basils57

basils57

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi I'm trying to install a network adapter on a m/c with 98, but apparently it needs 98SE. I have a Win98SE install CD, so could someone please advise how best to install this over the current OS without having to reload everything?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The original Windows 98 is version 4.10.1998 while Windows 98SE is 4.10.2222 or 4.10.2222A. The A version indicates some updates made after the original SE was released.

If it does, in fact, start to install a complete updated version of Win98 make sure you select to install to the same directory and choose "Yes" to save existing system files. Before you start, just in case it is a full upgrade, make sure you make an emergency startup disk and shut down all programs you have running including any anti-virus or anti-crash programs. Win 98SE does have improved drivers and provides support that Win 98 doesn't. Good luck.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 27 February 2007 - 01:51 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no upgrade route to Win98SE from the original Windows 98. When this was released originally in 1999, Microsoft came in for a lot of flak over this as Win98SE is a lot better than the first Windows 98. Therefore the next upgrade avenue is Windows ME, which has its own set of flaws, but is only slightly better than Win98 First Edition.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This isn't an upgrade as far as I know. I did the same thing when I wanted better drivers and just installed Win 98SE in same folder. Then I checked Win ver after install and it was correct. Of course, later I did go to Win ME which at the time was an upgrade version and not a full version.

Ron

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it's not an upgrade CD, and despite your misgivings about having to re-install all your applications, I would always recommend a format and "clean" install (after backing up all your own files, of course).

A format and clean install will almost always result in a more stable system compared to installing over an existing version. get's rid of all the junk, orphan files and redundant registry keys you've accumulated, any of which could cause problems later on.

Edited by pip22, 28 February 2007 - 07:37 AM.

basils57

basils57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks for the advice folks.
In the end I decided it was safer to save, reformat and re-install.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

There is no upgrade route to Win98SE from the original Windows 98. When this was released originally in 1999, Microsoft came in for a lot of flak over this as Win98SE is a lot better than the first Windows 98. Therefore the next upgrade avenue is Windows ME, which has its own set of flaws, but is only slightly better than Win98 First Edition.

that is not true I have a disk from microsoft for that exact purpose. it upgrades 98 ( and only 98 ) to 98se.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

that is not true I have a disk from microsoft for that exact purpose. it upgrades 98 ( and only 98 ) to 98se.

Correct. That's what I said in my post. It was only an upgrade in the sense that Win 98SE provided drivers, etc., that Win 98 didn't originally have. Installation right over original Win 98 always went smoothly. Kinda a Win 98 on steroids. Thanks for backup.

Ron

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
gotcha, misunderstood your meaning I guess.