Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer crash when viewing a folder

• Please log in to reply

luckyboym

luckyboym

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Okay, so I have this folder where I keep a bunch of wrestling and fight videos and up until two days ago everything was fine. Now, everytime i go in the folder, explorer crashes. At first I would get this windows installe pop up for a program called "pictureviewer" so I just hit cansel a couple of times and it went away. Well, now I cant even open this folder without a crash. Any suggestions/advice?

********UPDATE*********
okay, so before i had it in thumbnail view, well i switched to tile view and now there are NO crashes!!!!!!! Whats going on????????????

Edited by luckyboym, 27 February 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It seems likey to me that in Thumbnail view Explorer was being asked to do more than was supported by the file types. Imagine trying to display an entire video as a single compressed photo. And your folder has many of them! No wonder Explorer gave up. Details is usually best for this type of file anyway. Under "View" you can "Choose details," and get lots of different information about your files displayed.

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
i could understand that if I hadnt been using thumbnail view for more that a year. I worked fine one day then crash the next.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Had you just added a new file?

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
nope, the only thing i've done is installed the AC3 codec. I dont see why that would cause a crash, it should actually allow me to view MORE videos.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I think I would check the file extension associations for those videos just to be sure.