Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer help

• Please log in to reply

Pat2

Pat2

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
for some reason i can't use IE at all :/ i get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error. i can use Firefox and Opera browser but not IE. and since IE isn't
working, no msn until IE starts working again

i use a LAN broadband connection btw

Edited by Pat2, 27 February 2007 - 06:25 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, Pat2.

1. How long has this problem been happening?

2. Can you determine a date that it started? If so, what might have happened with your system just before it started? Try a System Restore to a point before the problem surfaced.

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
seemed to be happening for about 2 days. Every since i noticed msn messenger not connecting so i went to the repair connection option in msn messenger and it said something about IE being offline.

tried system recovery but for some reason, it won't let me choose a day other than yesterday so i set it to yesterday but no change

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
See this link with instructions for repairing IE6. Please note that you may need your Windows XP CD to run System File Checker.

Please post the results, good or bad.

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

instructions for repairing IE6

i kinda upgraded 6 to 7 THINKING it will work but no sucess. will it be alright if i still tried the instructions

Edited by Pat2, 28 February 2007 - 04:10 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might try the suggestions at Micro$oft Support that covers IE 7 not displaying web page.

Ron

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
so far still isn't working, :whistling:

scanned for viruses and spyware with AVG but found nothing,
i tried in safe mode,
i checked firewall,
tried sfc /scannow but nothing happened,
i downgraded to IE 6 again sand still not working,

and i can't try re-installing IE since i don't have the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM

Edited by Pat2, 05 March 2007 - 05:31 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Do you know anyone who has the same OS version as you? Maybe they would lend their CD to you temporarily so you can complete the maintenance you need to do.

As an alternative, call Microsoft at (800) 360-7561 to order replacement media. See Microsoft article 326246 for additional support options.

Although, I'm not sure you need the WXP CD to manually reinstall IE6 from the link I provided earlier. Try that and let us know how it goes.

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Do you know anyone who has the same OS version as you? Maybe they would lend their CD to you temporarily so you can complete the maintenance you need to do.

:whistling: nope stll nothing, i went and got my firend's cd.
i tried metrhod one and when it finished checking files, nothing happened (literally).
i tried method two but still didn't work
i even tried iefix.exe

Edited by Pat2, 06 March 2007 - 10:17 PM.

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
See the following link that may help solve your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
DaveC2003, that MS article was provided back in Post #6.

Pat2, it sounds like the IE7 upgrade, then downgrade back to IE6 really messed up your system. These are my suggestions at this point.

1. Install an alternate browser. You can download Firefox here. I don't personally use it, but I know lots of folks on G2G do and love it.

2. Do a a repair install on your Windows installation. *** Be aware, repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Windows CD in your CD drive. Power the computer down, then power it back on.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You will have to reinstall other software you had installed.

If you opt for #2, the only thing I need to mention is that if you're using a borrowed Windows CD, be sure to use your Windows CD Key from the COA sticker on your machine.

I will again suggest that you contact Microsoft or visit that support link I provided in Post #8 to obtain replacement media.

Please keep us posted!

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
the only reason i want IE to work again is so that msn messenger could work again. i NEVER use IE for browser since i think firefox and Opera is better

When i get the chance i'll see if i can call Microsoft or use recovery as soon as i can

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I understand your dilemma.

There is an alternative for MSN Messenger: Trillian Basic is a freeware multi-platform IM software. It handles MSN, Yahoo, AIM, and IRC. You can check it out here. I've been using it for MSN and IRC for about a month and it's working out great for me.

Pat2

Pat2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

I understand your dilemma.

There is an alternative for MSN Messenger: Trillian Basic is a freeware multi-platform IM software.

cool thanks but im getting an connecting error:
[22:01] *** Creating connection id removed
[22:01] *** Error while connecting (Error Code: 12029). Disconnecting.
[22:01] *** Reconnecting to MSN as id removed
[22:01] *** Will attempt 10 connections with 60 second intervals.
i think its because of ie :/

EDIT:
OMG!OMG! srry, after i system restored it still wasn't working but when i went to LAN SETTINGs in Options, proxy server was checked with a ip in it. i unchecked use proxy server. srry for the troubles

BTW:
thanks for trillian and your help

Edited by Ryan, 08 March 2007 - 09:34 PM.
removed email address

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Wow! Glad you got it fixed :whistling: