Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Mobile Device Center Configuration

• Please log in to reply

drsnet41

drsnet41

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I just loaded the newly released Microsoft Windows Vista.

I'm trying to get my Cingular (AT&T) Blackjack Smartphone to sync up with Outlook. In the XP days I used a program called Activesync. With Vista I now use Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC).

I'm also running Microsoft Windows Live OneCare for security.

I couldn't get WMDC to properly sync up with my Blackjack until I discovered that I had to go into OneCare and disable my firewall. When I do that everything works fine. Not wanting to keep the firewall down I went into the OneCare Firewall tab and clicked on Firewall Connection Tool. From there I selected:

ActiveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center - synchronize my mobile devices with my computer

Checking this didn't fix my problem. I then tried to enable all the choices in the Firewall Connection Tool thinking I could get it to work this way and then take them out one by one until I figured out exactly what I needed. With all the choices checked (Network Discovery, File & Print Sharing, Xbox 360, etc.) it still wouldn't work.

My question is, does anyone know the ports I need to keep open to make this work? It is possible in OneCare to set a specific port or range of ports.

Advertisements